Favorite Roosters.

Foghorn

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Connecticut
I am placing my order this week and cannot decide on what breed for a rooster. I want one who is pleasing to the eye, protective of his flock, yet gentle. I also want a single comb breed. That narrows it down a bit.
Of the hens, I am ordering a couple each of:
SILVER LACED WYANDOTTES
BARRED ROCKS
WHITE ROCKS
BUFF ORPINGTONS
BLACK AUSTRALORPS
PARTRIDGE ROCKS
ARAUCANAS

Do you approve of the mix? If there is a reason why I should change one or two breeds, please let me know. This is my first flock, if you couldn't tell
wink.png

I would like to know what you have for a rooster and if you picked him, why?
Also, please post a pic of your "man" of the flock so we can ooh and ahh!

As a side note, was it fun getting your chicks and trying to guess what each was, by color? Some are quite different but others look very much alike.

I CAN'T WAIT! THEY WILL BE HERE THIS WEEK I HOPE!

(as an update, I have decide to wait a bit till temps rise some more. No sense in having my chicks suffer this cold. 2/8/07)

-Eric

Last edited:
I would suggest a Cochin Rooster, a gentle giant...very docile birds, while you are at it, order a few hens. I did exactly what you did the first time around, bought a few of these and a few of those....but later wanted "pure breeds" and couldn't get them because of my choices. Now I am down to 3 breeds and very happy...although I enjoyed a colorful flock. Best of luck, I do not have any pictures to share but you can visit the International Cochin Association to check out pics.

Foghorn, is there a reason why you limit your options to breeds with a single comb?

Cold weather like you have could result in frozen combs.

Breeds with pea,or rose combs, handle the cold better. Just a thought.

bigzio

We have a barred Cochin rooster, and he is gentle and easy to get along with. He also won the crowing contest at the fair for us last year! But my favorite is our White Leghorn roo. He is gentle, and friendly, intelligent, experienced, vigilant, and gets along with ALL the other roosters, as long as they understand he is boss. And they do. I could tell lots of stories about him. I have read that White Leghorns are also long lived. Ours is eight years old.

I guess I want a single comb because of looks mostly. I grew up on a chicken farm and I am used to that type of chicken. I really just like the looks of it better. Just my taste. I am aware of the risk of frostbite.

BeckyLa,
I am leaning towards a Barred Rock. I would love to see a pic of yours.

As a matter of fact, I would love to see pics! Period! I can search for them but I want to see what you guys have.
big_smile.png

Thanks, Foghorn, for the compliment! I don't have any pics of this flock but I'll try to get some tomorrow once the camera batteries have charged up.

teapot.gif

I vote for a Buff Orpington or a Gaint Chochin Buff, most i have been around are gentel and beautiful. You will probably have a Orpington roo in the bunch anyway.

Back
Top Bottom