movick

Chirping
Sep 15, 2022
I came across a mention of a 'crested' Eurasian collared dove (S. decaocto) in nature. It is said that crested ringneck doves escaped from captivity in their area in the past. Now there are 'crested' ECDs. This recessive trait is likely to be in the population forever, as is the case with leucist ('Blond') or pied individuals that thrive especially in the dry south, where a lighter color can be an advantage. The 'crested' mutation was discovered in Southeast Asia and imported into the US in 2002. It is now widespread worldwide in domestic doves and appears to be entering wild ECD populations, which are more successful in surviving in the wild but willingly interbreed with RND and they get some genes from them, including a genetic predisposition for a crest, or variations in coloring such as 'Pied' or 'Blond'.

I am very curious about the crested ECD photos. Have you seen such an individual in nature?

Attachments

• kkkkkk2.png
    kkkkkk2.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 52
It is now widespread worldwide in domestic doves and appears to be entering wild ECD populations, which are more successful in surviving in the wild but willingly interbreed with RND and they get some genes from them, including a genetic predisposition for a crest, or variations in coloring such as 'Pied' or 'Blond'.
Hmmm. I have never heard of such a mutation but like you said it’s common in domestic ringneck doves so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it bleed into a population of ECDs that mingle with feral/escaped domestic doves.
That being said, I don’t see anything diagnostic of ECD in this photo, are we sure that the original photo even is a collared dove, and not just a ringneck with the wild type coloration?

I came across a mention of a 'crested' Eurasian collared dove (S. decaocto) in nature. It is said that crested ringneck doves escaped from captivity in their area in the past. Now there are 'crested' ECDs. This recessive trait is likely to be in the population forever, as is the case with leucist ('Blond') or pied individuals that thrive especially in the dry south, where a lighter color can be an advantage. The 'crested' mutation was discovered in Southeast Asia and imported into the US in 2002. It is now widespread worldwide in domestic doves and appears to be entering wild ECD populations, which are more successful in surviving in the wild but willingly interbreed with RND and they get some genes from them, including a genetic predisposition for a crest, or variations in coloring such as 'Pied' or 'Blond'.

I am very curious about the crested ECD photos. Have you seen such an individual in nature?
I may have some in my area. I will follow up on this. Stay tuned for photos.

Back
Top Bottom