Emu housing and can they see at night?

hen house girl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
Does anyone know if emus can see at night? Also I live in Canada and it gets cold here with snow, my emu never seems to voluntarily go into her house to keep warm any suggestions? TIA

It has been my experience that an emu can't really see at night, they only have block images at night and can not see what the images are , they can tell there is something there but can't see what it is , however if you go out to them at night as long as you talk to them they recognize it is you .they are like a chicken in the dark, as far as the shelter if you put straw in there they should start going in , my emu love there shelter ,however we have a door on the front and back of the building and we have them open till the weather gets bad, so they can see they want get trapped inside , they go through it when another emu starts to bother them , they never feel trapped and when It is really cold I have heat lights the red in color light's so they don't fight, but they love being lazy under the lights when it is too cold , I hope this helps .

Last edited:
Does anyone know if emus can see at night? Also I live in Canada and it gets cold here with snow, my emu never seems to voluntarily go into her house to keep warm any suggestions? TIA
I think they can see a little bit. I think they hear very well... when I check up on them at about 9 pm, they whistle and peep at me and we have little conversations. But they don't get up and come over to see me.

I wish I had more help, mine won't use their little house either!! They sleep next to it in the weeds! We got our first snowfall last night, the temps were around 20 deg F... I wish they would go inside! Ugh! But they don't seem to mind. How cold does it get where you are? How do you coax yours inside?

I have yet to get her to stay in her emu house, but I have been successful at coaxing her in with grapes and apple slices. Last night it was 5 deg F and snowing. It drops to -30 deg as well, very cold here in Canada. But this is her 8th Canadian winter, I will most likely lock her up in the house if it get colder. I'm still working on her and hoping she will feel safe in the heated emu coop :)

so sorry you are having such a hard time , the first time I ever had emu about 18 year ago , if I remember correctly I had to get them in and close the door , however I had the door fixed so if hit it would open just in case they needed out , but after a few nights of being in there they started going in , if your emu are laying you might put an egg inside , let them watch you move it in , good luck

I only have one female, no eggs :( I wish
Though!!! I will try having a door for her and get her to spend the night in there. Maybe she will realize its warmer and more comfortable. Thank you all for the responses.

May I ask a silly question, does she sit when you pet her , if so she has probably laid somewhere in the pen, they don't have to have a male to lay however it will not be fertile you still might get her to go in with it , wish you lived closer I would have given you one of my big pets .also have you bonded with her /does she love for you to pet her use the building for petting time , start putting a little food in there in the center of the shelter where she can see it and start feeding her in there a little as often as possible until she starts to feel comfortable with being in there a little longer each day . as soon as I put straw in the shelter stalls my emu just cant resist going in there .sorry I haven't been able to help .
sad.png
also just so you know one of my emu 's were rescue birds and he wasn't sure about the shelter but when his feet got to cold to walk on and he laid down in the snow ,my son and I went out there and pushed him like a sled across the pen and into the building under the heat light, he was grateful , now he is the first one to go in when it is cold

Last edited:
That is an amazing photo!

[Emus like to sunbake. I have seen wild chick roll belly up in Spring sunshine -- like puppies]

m

Back
Top Bottom