Emu chick weight

I'll throw out my worry because it happened to a baby of mine (probably 2-3 weeks): He got infected with giardia, a protozoa that killed him so quickly we didn't have a chance to do anything. It's incredibly persistent/durable in the environment, because the next baby got infected as well but we treated it in time (took him + droppings to a walk-in and was prescribed Albon suspension for possible infection and Panacur for the parasite) and he recovered fine.

Symptoms were stinky/bubbly poop that had the whites separated, slept way more than usual. I think blood started showing up in the droppings close to the end, and he began to throw up his food and had trouble breathing. It was a horrible way to die, so just want to get the info out in case it could help save another.

Dark poop + undigested bits I've seen in stressed birds, so maybe you're right in thinking he ate something that didn't agree with him. I hope worming will help your baby and he starts gaining normally! They eat a ton so I don't think there are bloat concerns. I've had adults get some form of sour crop, in which case you can smell their breath and you can tell. That's treated with mineral oil and massaging their lower neck/chest (technically emus don't have a crop, but they can still get really awful sour crop-like breath).

When everything's functioning normally they're poop machines! Glad to hear he's eating fine. It's a good idea to track his weight :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom