Emu chick weight

Gallimimus

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2019
Idaho
Hi, all
I am hoping to get some answers on how much emu chicks weigh at different ages.
The chick I have seems to be losing weight. I have no idea why, and I am getting worried. He was 3 weeks old on the 21st Here are the weights I have recorded

April 23rd, before bed time. 2.71lbs

April 24th in the am. 2.89lbs

April 24th before bed 3.22lbs

April 25th about an hour ago. 1.53lbs (Weighed him again right after he ate some food) Weight was 2.09lbs

Obviously a BIG drop. Perhaps my scale was not doing its job properly, I need to weigh him again later. I have noticed every morning he feels lighter/different. Is this what they normally do as they get taller (Feel a little different, not lose weight)? I have no clue what I am doing wrong. He has food out 24/7. Nutrena 18% Chick starter (Non medicated) Mixed with 20% DuMor chick starter per breeders advice. He is also getting lots of greens daily. Kale, cabbage are out free choice, and other greens are given throughout the day. He eats the food for about 1- 2 minutes at a time every 30 minutes-3 hours or so. He does seem to sneeze/fling his food when he eats it and has been a slow eater since day one. He eats greens and grass a lot though. He just feels so different from when I got him on the 19th. He has been acting pretty normal otherwise. Doing his spazzy dance. Running around, attacking and hissing at any bird that dares land anywhere in his sight. Chasing chicks and ducklings, following the goats for hours pecking at their ears, and being a pretty normal emu. He did seem a bit slower than usual this morning though. He held his head to his body and stood there with his eyes closed even when I touched him/nudged him with my hands. What am I doing wrong? I don't want anything to happen to this little guy! Thank you for any and all help.

Last edited:
Have you made sure all the weight recordings are correct? I don’t have emu so I have no idea...
And I don’t know if anybody I know has emu..
Uh.. just make sure they are correct, maybe weigh him one more time?:idunno

Have you made sure all the weight recordings are correct? I don’t have emu so I have no idea...
And I don’t know if anybody I know has emu..
Uh.. just make sure they are correct, maybe weigh him one more time?:idunno
I believe they are. Not sure why I got the first weight of 1lb. I weighed him 2 more times. Both time I got 2.09lbs Still very low.

I took some 1lb weights, can of beans, and some quarters to make sure it wasn't the scale. Everything was the exact weight it should be. So the scale is fine, I think.

I definitely am concerned. This is my first emu. I know it is normal to lose some weight over night from just digesting. He sleeps most the night and rarely touches his food at night. But losing that much weight does not seem normal. I'm just not sure what I am doing wrong, or if it might be not as bad as I think.

Here are some pictures from just now. Please excuse the awful, dirty room. He likes to dump the food on the ground and then spill his water onto it to it makes a cakey, dirty mess. It's early and I haven't taken him outside to cleaned the room today.

Side view from today
20190425_083442.jpg

Side view from yesterday
20190424_130004.jpg

Top view from just now, and side view.
20190425_083641.jpg
20190425_083651.jpg

Attachments

• 20190425_083651.jpg
    20190425_083651.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 2
Things to check:
-Consistency of the poop. If the solids and whites are separated, it's a sign something is wrong. Undigested bits/chunks of fiber are also unusual.
-Energy levels. Is he sleeping more than usual? A sick bird won't have as much energy.
-Physical check. Are his nose or eyes runny? Is the vent clean?
-Behavior check. Is he coughing/sneezing or acting like something else is bothering him? Eating/drinking normally? Is his peck strength strong/normal?

Losing weight that much is a bit concerning, usually they "grow overnight," they sprout so quickly. Since he's interacting with the outside birds/world he might've picked up parasites. Something to consider.

Last edited:
Poo is not separated but appeared to turn very dark since last night. There is a little fiber but not much.
He was sleeping a bit more than normal today as well. Just barely, but yes a bit more tired.
Eyes are good, nose and vent are both clean as well.

No, not that I've seen. The only thing I have noticed is he will sneeze when he is eating. Kinda like he is choking. But, the chicks and ducklings also do that when they eat too fast, so I wasnt really concerned about it. Maybe I should be though? His peck strength is really good. Ouchy it hurts!

I actually did think of that. He was in with the goats (who are dewormed, but always carry some worms, just not heavy loads) as well as some wild birds. Breeder recommended I deworm him. Even if they weren't the problem then it won't harm him at all. So I gave him some ivermectin injectable 1% orally(what I had on hand) About .10cc probably a little more than that, he took the syringe so it was easy to give to him, and then I watched and made sure he drank some water right after.

Weight as of about 3 hours ago when he came back inside was 3.21. He ate a LOT of grass/flowers today. And also seemed much more interested in his food as well. He ate twice as much as he normally did. Can emus get bloat like goats, or something similar? When my baby goats overeat or get something they aren't supposed too they have upset tummies for about a day or 2. They get scours, don't eat and lose some weight (due to not having anything in their stomachs). Maybe he had something similar or ate something that didn't agree with him and he had an upset tummy. He HAS been gaining before last night, but it been slow and every day he just felt a little different.

No, I did not hatch him. I got him on the 19th this month. He hatched April 1st so he is almost 4 weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom