EMERGENCY Chicken with Hemorrhoids and worms???

Justin Statham

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2017
Hello everyone. I just noticed one of my best laying hens was wet in the rear. Upon further investigation it looks like she has hemorrhoids as well as worms. I did a little searching and it said to clean well use preparation h and stick it back in but I have tried several times and she just pushes it right out. What should I do. I just gave her Wazine for the worms but not sure what else to do. I have separated her from the flock and she is in the basement in a cool dark place. I also noticed a day ago I got a strange looking egg and I am assuming it came from her. Please help.
IMG_8427.JPG

What you have is a prolapsed vent. Here is a link with good info on treating it. I'm suspicious that the 'worm' you saw is a maggot, which means fly strike, which is serious and can be fatal. If what you saw is what I circled on the image you need to also treat for fly strike. There is a lot of info on both, so am going to give you links instead of trying to write it all here. The prolapse needs to be kept moist until you can get it to stay inside, if it dries out it will become necrotic. You need to thoroughly clean and remove all maggots ASAP, and check several times a day for more until you are sure they are all gone. They will literally eat the bird alive and leave toxins that will kill her.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/
InkedIMG_8427_LI.jpg

Coach723 is right. I would get into a warm soapy bath or Epsom salts bath right away to soak, and look for more maggots. Honey or hydrocortisone cream are good to use on the prolapse normally, but I would be inclined to use triple antibiotic ointment to try and smother any maggots. Screw worm spray or SWAT from your feed store will kill fly larvae on the vent.

Thanks you were correct those were maggots and she has worms as well. We gave her a warm bath cleaned and removed all the maggots and used peroxide on her prolapse. I then use peroration h and tried to push everything back in. While I was doing that she pushed out a very soft egg. I then gave her more Perpetration H and tried to push everything back in. After 10 minutes I gave up and put her back in the basement. Do you have anymore suggestions.
IMG_8436.JPG

Treating a prolapse can take days of having to put it back in. It is not an easy thing to do. Maybe it would be best to put her down. I am sorry.

Last edited:
You will want to keep the prolapse moist, and try again later to push the tissue back inside. Try holding it in with a gloved hand, and holding her for awhile for 10 minutes or so. It may keep coming back out, but push it back in wheneve you can. To help her stop laying eggs for a couple of weeks to heal, place her in a covered crate or dark room for 16 hours over night every day. Then let her out for 8 hours to eat and drink and walk around. Keep her away from the other chickens until her vent stays in because the red tissue will attract pecking and cannibalism.

Thanks everyone. I checked this morning and it seems to look better. I will keep up with the baths and keep her confined and keep treating until she hopefully gets better.

Thanks everyone. I checked this morning and it seems to look better. I will keep up with the baths and keep her confined and keep treating until she hopefully gets better.
Good luck.
I hope she heals fast for you.

Sorry for my quick/abbreviated response yesterday, was on my way out the door, glad some others weighed in with more detail. The swelling does look reduced in the second picture, so that's good. Prolapses can be a one time event, or can sometimes reoccur. Soft shelled eggs are hard to pass, so likely the cause. Hope she recovers and it never happens again. Keep it moist and give it time. Do be vigilant about making sure that no more maggots appear, they can continue to hatch on her, the screw worm spray is effective for that. Other means work as well, just make sure they are truly gone. Hope she makes a full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom