Egg quality between flocks

HowIsItDone

Chirping
Mar 19, 2024
South Eastern Ontario
Hi everyone,

I don't have chickens yet, so I've been buying unwashed eggs locally from two different places.

At the first place, the egg white sometimes has tiny brown spots, and the white lays flat and uniform when cracked. The eggs often have poop or straw on the shell. I know they are fresh because sometimes she runs out.

From the second place, the egg white is clean, and most of it stands higher and closer to the yoke when cracked. They were also sold as unwashed, but the first dozen I bought were free of debris.
(I wash them before use either way.)

Both flocks free range. The first flock is under 20 hens. The second looks to be around 40.

Any ideas on what the two places might be doing differently?

At the first place, the egg white sometimes has tiny brown spots, and the white lays flat and uniform when cracked. The eggs often have poop or straw on the shell.
The brown spots are called meat spots.. and are undesirable.. though safe and edible.. (a reproductive thing)

Sounds like they keep dirty nests or dirty butt birds and maybe the birds are older.. hence the flatter whites..

BUT some of that can be genetic too.

I'd not be buying eggs from place #1 again. They are low quality.. with regards to what a graded egg would be.. they are B at best.

From the second place, the egg white is clean, and most of it stands higher and closer to the yoke when cracked. They were also sold as unwashed, but the first dozen I bought were free of debris.
Sounds like younger bird with cleaner nests.

My friend had a terrible set up which allowed poop to go into nests and she also had some nest sleepers.. even though her birds were kept just as well as mine.. her eggs were WAY nastier on the outside.

FWIW, storage technique also matters.. room temp eggs age (diminish in quality) 7 times faster than under refrigeration.

The brown spots are called meat spots.. and are undesirable.. though safe and edible.. (a reproductive thing)

Sounds like they keep dirty nests or dirty butt birds and maybe the birds are older.. hence the flatter whites..

Very informative, thank you.
Do you know what causes "meat spots"? Are they a sort of blood clot?

The first group do have dirty butts, and I suppose the coop could be cleaner. She was just starting a big clean out the last time I saw her, and I know she loves her chickens, like you said about your friend.

Regarding age and the egg white, you could be right. The second group all seem younger. Maybe they cull their flock a bit every year...?

The eggs from the second place were unrefrigerated, but I'll keep your advice in mind for my own eggs when I get started.

Another question: Once eggs have been refrigerated, they should remain refrigerated, correct?
So if I'm gathering eggs laid on cold winter days, do I treat those as refrigerated? Say that it's -10f outside, but 70f in my kitchen....
Have those been pre-refrigerated for me?

Last edited:
Do you know what causes "meat spots"? Are they a sort of blood clot?
Yes I have some idea.. it's reproductive material that sloughs off during the formation process and is different than blood spots.

There's a cool video in the following link which is informative. But also many symptoms can have separate possible causes and it lists disease for almost everything so please don't jump directly to those conclusions without good cause..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

One of my current hatchery ladies has had meat spots from day one and every day since then.. I consider it poor (individual) genetics. She's on the cull list.. but was retained for her broodiness. I mark her eggs and am extra careful not to share them.

Another good article that describes meat spots from a more professional point of view/explanation..

https://layinghens.hendrix-genetics.com/en/articles/blood-and-meat-spots-found-in-eggs/

The first group do have dirty butts, and I suppose the coop could be cleaner. She was just starting a big clean out the last time I saw her.
In my ladies.. some get it and need cleaning every year or seasonally, while others never seem to get it. It can affect all the other eggs in the nest too, not just the one being laid. Those ladies may be "culled" first, here.

Regarding age and the egg white, you could be right. The second group all seem younger. Maybe they cull their flock a bit every year...?
This is what I do.. partly in order to have eggs year round. But the diminishing egg quality is a really good reason! Culling can also mean rehoming. I replace 30-50% of my personal layers each year.

The eggs from the second place were unrefrigerated, but I'll keep your advice in mind for my own eggs when I get started.
Refrigeration space is a factor and many folks are in love with the idea of no refrigeration required. They still sound like better quality. You can still refigerate after purchase if desired..

More technical but interesting information which supports my statements about storage quality effects (different than safety)..

https://lohmann-breeders.com/lohmanninfo/effects-of-storage-conditions-on-egg-quality-2/

Another question: Once eggs have been refrigerated, they should remain refrigerated, correct?
Yes.. sweating should be avoided in order to keep the bloom in tact and extend shelf life. Bloom being the coating that keeps bacteria from entering the egg.. even in the fridge it does eventually wear away.. but true story, unwashed (clean) eggs have still been totally usable even 6 months old.. not good for whipping and yolks pop a bit easy for fried.. but still otherwise perfect for boiled, baking, and scrambles! The older the egg.. the larger the air cell.. noticed at the little flat top of boiled eggs.

Eggs with poop on them should not be sold, ever. Straw by itself wouldn't bother me.

So if I'm gathering eggs laid on cold winter days, do I treat those as refrigerated? Say that it's -10f outside, but 70f in my kitchen....
Have those been pre-refrigerated for me?
Ouch. that's mighty cold.. and I have zero experience with frozen eggs beyond that it can cause cloudy looking whites and possibly cracked eggs. Yes they would be pre refrigerated and certainly sweat when brought to room temp... which ultimately would just shorten the length of freshness/safety.. so some of these statements may be relevant to how fast the eggs are used up.

One quick last note.. hot weather may be just as likely to cause some runnier/flatter eggs at the point of lay due to hen stress.. and this may vary with some breeds or individuals not adapting as well to heat as others..

This may be all too much information for someone who's just eating eggs and not interested in keeping chickens.. but it may also show you the value of what you're paying for while not having to deal with so many things to consider.. or help discern how you feel about your available options.

On the other hand.. if you're thinking about a chicken adventure yourself.. then go for it! It'll never ever be as cheap or easy as buying eggs.. but the entertainment and teaching/learning values are untold riches.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom