Egg-bound or just old age??

LucyCorbett

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2019
Hey, so my hen hasn’t laid for the past few days but still goes up to the coop as though she’s trying to lay. Today there was a shell-less egg that was only about an inch tall. I’ve heard that this is because she may be egg-bound, she’s acting fairly normal other then that so I’m not sure. Obviously with the current situation it is very hard to get her in to the vets if there is something wrong. She most likely is egg-bound but I’m not completely sure as I know she’s getting older, maybe she’s just starting to lay less? I’ve known her for 4 years so I’m guessing she’s around 5-6. Any help would be appreciated, if she is egg-bound, what should I do? Thankyou in advance :) x

I should also probably mention that I live in England, it has been quite hot recently, I have two backgarden hens (They get the whole garden) and they have a diet of layers pellets and a few treats every few days.

Last edited:
It seems most of my hens eventually have some sort of reproductive problem eventually, and those (salpingitis or egg yolk peritonitis) can be a common cause of death. The oviduct is made up of different parts, and the shell gland may be malfunctioning, or there could be infection (salpingitis.) Sometimes they can have impacted oviduct, when different parts may come out, shell-less eggs, yolks, membranes, or albumen. She may stop laying altogether, and that is best.

I would give her some human calcium (half a Tums or a calcium tablet) for several days and make sure that she is eating and drinking okay. When they lay a shell-less egg, they usually feel very weak. Hopefully, she will start to feel better.

Back
Top Bottom