Paralized Salmon Feverolle

Vanesasaurus

Hatching
May 2, 2024
I have a 10-month-old salmon federal that has been paralyzed in one leg for about 4 days. She can move around a little bit if she props herself up using one wing but I don't want her to hurt herself. Because she is unable to stand she is covered in poop so I have to give her a bath everyday to get the poop off of her. Today when I took her out of the bath and placed her on the towel she left a very smelly normalish looking poop that has pieces of black tar in it. She will only eat the protein out of her chicken feed but she is drinking water like normal. I'm not sure if her mysterious leg paralysis has anything to do with the poop or not.

Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks? Do you have a rooster who could have hurt her? Mareks might be the issue, or nerve damage from an injury. Is there any swelling or green bruising in the leg or hip? The main thing right now is to make sure that she can reach food and water. She may need to be separated in a dog crate with food and water, to make sure the flock does not bully her or hurt her. A chicken sling or chair might help get her upright and supported in front of food/water. If you lose her one day, I would get the state vet vet to do a necropsy and testing for Mareks. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom