Dutch Hookbills

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
Anyone breeding them? I found some older threads on them, they are very intriguing to me, not sure i am ready to start breeding, but i sure am interested. I am reading Dave Holderreads book, but haven’t gotten very far along. Pictures and information would be great!

That's one of the 2 breeds that holderreads still breeds. You can go streight to the source! They are pretty helpfull with questions you might have.
from the website
2020 Elite-bred Duckling Price List​

After six decades, the 2020 hatching season will be our last year of shipping ducklings and goslings. Dave embarked on this fascinating 60-year adventure in 1961. Millie joined the endeavor in the mid-1970s. And now, all of us here at the farm want to thank the many wonderful friends and customers we've had the privilege of getting to know over these decades of studying and breeding rare waterfowl breeds. Your contagious enthusiasm and countless stories helped energize us for the long haul! We send each of you our best wishes and hope you will continue to do your part in saving rare breeds.

I actually contacted holderread regarding their hookbills a few weeks ago because their website is outdated, here's the response I got (hope it helps):

Sorry for the confusion--I need to get the website updated but haven't done so yet! We only sell Hook Bills as adult birds. All that is currently available in Hook Bills are some Dusky drakes. We are currently taking orders/requests for HB adults that will be available Fall 2021/Winter 2022. If you're interested in getting in line for HBs that will be available then, send in your order and include a minimum deposit of $10/bird requested.
To give you an idea of shipping costs, here are a couple of options--keep in mind that this is at current USPS rates and does not include the cost of the birds themselves:
--pair of Hook Bills: $16 shipping box and between $166-$174.00 Express Mail shipping & insurance
--5 HBs: $40 shipping box and between $297-$313.00 Express Mail shipping & insurance
The reason for the range in EM amounts...it depends on which zone you're in (I need your zip code ;) Let me know if you have any followup questions and/or if you'd like more information on the Dusky HB drakes that are currently available. Thanks--Wanita at HWFarm

Thanks everyone! I am becoming more and more intrigued the more I think about it. I wonder how well they hold up during cross country travel in their crate.. that bothers me.
I think they do just fine. I had a box of ducklings from them get lost in the mail, 5 days late, march in AK so about 25 degrees all day, didn't loose one duckling.

I have been raising Hookbills since my sister downsized them from her farm to me a few years ago. Hers were from Holderread.

I am a small operation, just me, with some help from my husband, so I only sell hatching eggs. I don't have space to hatch and grow out adults to sell. I increased my flock a bit with last year's hatch:

I have an ad on Poultry Show Central:
https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/mo-dutch-hookbill-hatching-eggs.html

I currently have over 80 people on the list for hatching eggs, and some of them are left over from last year.

I am also listed on the Livestock Conservancy Breeder List, a good place to look for people raising Hookbills.

Back
Top Bottom