Duckling Diarrhea

mamaduck17

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2015
I have two ducklings (Willie and Si) almost a month old. These are my first ducks ever. I've looked at other threads trying to figure out what could be wrong. One of my ducklings has smelly diarrhea. He poops more often as well. Sometimes its dark, other times its a light brown. It is just the one duckling out of two. They are Dumor chick starter/grower from tractor supply. They go outside and forage throughout parts of the day. They have access to grit. I have the heat lamp set up in their area. I have read it can be stress related them seem fine. They sleep act normal run around peep eat and drink fine. Please help I want to make sure my Willie is okay.

I have two ducklings (Willie and Si) almost a month old. These are my first ducks ever. I've looked at other threads trying to figure out what could be wrong. One of my ducklings has smelly diarrhea. He poops more often as well. Sometimes its dark, other times its a light brown. It is just the one duckling out of two. They are Dumor chick starter/grower from tractor supply. They go outside and forage throughout parts of the day. They have access to grit. I have the heat lamp set up in their area. I have read it can be stress related them seem fine. They sleep act normal run around peep eat and drink fine. Please help I want to make sure my Willie is okay.

@Miss Lydia
@Amiga

I've tagged a couple of our "resident experts". All I know is that their poops can change in an instant based on what they're eating. For example, when I give mine chopped pieces of green beans, it seems like their poop is green within minutes. I also know that the higher the protein, the smellier the poo. Do you know what % protein you're giving your babies? Are you adding Niacin? One thing that might help, raw apple cider vinegar seems to be kind of a cure all. Good luck. Please keep us posted and feel free to post pics.

A little detail on the raw apple cider vinegar - just a teaspoon per quart of water, not full strength.

Okay, now, breathe.

The fact that they seem otherwise okay is encouraging. With ducklings and ducks, it is a tightrope we walk - they are very hardy animals in many ways, very resilient. And they hide serious illness so well we can miss something. Makes for anxious duck folks, I tell ya.

So, the most likely reason for runny smelly poo is a combination of what they have eaten and how they feel.

Seriously, when my ducklings got nervous, oh, the eye-burning stench!
sickbyc.gif

….

Now, on the scary side of the spectrum, is intestinal infection. That is serious. You might consider getting a fecal sample to a vet so they can test it.

Last edited:
A little detail on the raw apple cider vinegar - just a teaspoon per quart of water, not full strength.

Okay, now, breathe.

The fact that they seem otherwise okay is encouraging. With ducklings and ducks, it is a tightrope we walk - they are very hardy animals in many ways, very resilient. And they hide serious illness so well we can miss something. Makes for anxious duck folks, I tell ya.

So, the most likely reason for runny smelly poo is a combination of what they have eaten and how they feel.

Seriously, when my ducklings got nervous, oh, the eye-burning stench!
sickbyc.gif

OhMyGoodness! What an important detail that I forgot...how much raw acv is always good to know!
@Amiga - thanks for adding that tidbit!

One of my ducks has always had runny brown poo. Nothing wrong with her.

At the same time, some dark stools can indicate some bleeding - this could be caused by parasites, infection, or even something sharp in the digestive tract. These are, I feel the least likely possibilities.

You may want to keep track of when these happen. Another thing, is what some call the seventh poop (if I recall correctly). I think the technical name is caecal. . . . It is a little chamber in the digestive tract, I think, and sometimes it gets emptied, and wooooweeeee, is it aromatic!

That's what I can think of right now.

Last edited:
I thought the food I had contained Niacin in it. But apparently not from googling it. The protein level is 20% They seem fine walking and everything but I will still add brewers yeast. What food do you feed your ducks. I also read the brand I buy DUMOR from TSC isn't the best so maybe I should switch.

I don't know if its the seventh poop because it happens often. Willie the one with the diarrhea is a little more shy compared to Si. If he just stresses more easily. They are growing and seem strong.

Do you ever use probiotics?

Here are some pictures of Willie and Si.

@Debs Flock
@Amiga

Last edited:
I thought the food I had contained Niacin in it. But apparently not from googling it. The protein level is 20% They seem fine walking and everything but I will still add brewers yeast. What food do you feed your ducks. I also read the brand I buy DUMOR from TSC isn't the best so maybe I should switch.

I don't know if its the seventh poop because it happens often. Willie the one with the diarrhea is a little more shy compared to Si. If he just stresses more easily. They are growing and seem strong.

Do you ever use probiotics?

Here are some pictures of Willie and Si.

@Debs Flock
@Amiga

I don't recall the brand name. It's All Flock of some sort, but mine are 7 weeks. If I remember correctly, I started at 22% and decreased about 2% every week or two. I do recommend brewers yeast. I add one tablespoon per cup of food. I've never used or looked into probiotics. Mabye Willie is just stressed since he's acting fine other than the poops. Thanks for the pics! They're precious!! Love the dog just looking at them!!

Okay I will get some brewers yeast. I know I read that they need a certain level of protein and different points in their life. Is the amount they are getting harmful?

Thanks that is my newfie Kodiak who absolutely adores my ducks. If they are peeping lour or upset he is by their side checking on them

@Debs Flock

This is a picture of his poop. Sometimes it is just black liquid and not as hard as this.

Last edited:
He just did this while I was typing that other post. It is extremely smelly I can smell it from the other room. I thought I had poop on my hands, but I was wrong

Back
Top Bottom