Duck with a swollen leg

Pics

Gwokakotta

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Illinois
I came home and noticed one of my Pekins limping last week, and when I examined him I found his left leg was pretty swollen. I've been letting him rest in their duck house since then (except for a few times I let him swim on the pond - I thought it might be good for his leg). He can barely put any weight on it, and when he tries to walk, he has to use his wing to balance himself.

As far as I can tell, it seems like the swelling is coming from the hock joint, but his whole leg looks larger. I've also checked for bumblefoot, and found nothing. Can't find any signs of cuts or infections, either.

I know he's been one very aggressive duck running after girls lately, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's how heinjured himself. I just don't know how to tell if it's broken, sprained, a slipped tendon, or something else?

Last edited:
Poor boy, okay not sure if any of this info will help but if you go to this site and scroll down you may get some info from it.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I'd also use some Epsom salt and warm water and soak his leg making sure he can't drink the solution since it's also a laxative. I put 1 cup of ES to nice warm water and use a small bucket wide enough to get both legs into comfortably then hold on to the duck and let him soak for at least 5-10 mins a couple times a day. I have also used a plastic dish pan and held the duck in a laying position if you have a large duck they pretty much cover the opening and can't get to the water. But first go to poultry pedia and see if you can figure out what maybe causing this first.

That looks REALLY swollen. Oregano is a natural anti inflamatory. My duckling has a break or something wrong with her leg and its what I give her.

Thanks for your help! I've been especially busy the last few days, so I wasn't able to begin his treatment til now. This evening I soaked his leg in Epsom salt for as long as I could (probably about 5-10 minutes). He put up a good fight, so at least he's still energetic!

Miss Lydia, I read through the info there, and my best guess would be a sprain or possibly a break. But for all I know, it could be a slipped tendon or something. From what I saw of his leg (and I have no experience with slipped tendons), it looked like there was still that tendon going up the back of his leg, just like a human's Achilles heel. Here's another picture I took today:

I don't know if it matters, but the only thing he could have fallen/jumped off is the ramp that leads into their pen, and it's only about 1 1/2 feet at its highest.

And how do you use oregano as treatment? Thanks so much for your advice!

Thanks for your help! I've been especially busy the last few days, so I wasn't able to begin his treatment til now. This evening I soaked his leg in Epsom salt for as long as I could (probably about 5-10 minutes). He put up a good fight, so at least he's still energetic!

Miss Lydia, I read through the info there, and my best guess would be a sprain or possibly a break. But for all I know, it could be a slipped tendon or something. From what I saw of his leg (and I have no experience with slipped tendons), it looked like there was still that tendon going up the back of his leg, just like a human's Achilles heel. Here's another picture I took today:

I don't know if it matters, but the only thing he could have fallen/jumped off is the ramp that leads into their pen, and it's only about 1 1/2 feet at its highest.

And how do you use oregano as treatment? Thanks so much for your advice!
Many herbs have medicinal qualities. Oregano is a natural anti inflamatory. I bought a oregano plant (Under $4 right now) and just feed my duckling fresh leaves. It seems to help.

We don't have any oregano plants, but we do have the regular stuff for seasoning food. Would that work just as well?

It does not take much height for a Pekin to seriously injure a leg, according to a friend of mine who has been raising them for several years.
The thing is, during the day my ducks free range and for the most part stay off the ramp because I keep the pen door closed while they're out. So I doubt that's what did it, but of course it's possible.

That looks so sore!

My duck is in pain as well. She started walking funny a few days ago.. We found a lump under her foot... now she can't even walk. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? How can we relieve the pain?

Back
Top Bottom