Double yolker - RIP little ones... Photos added of the egg opened

duckyfromoz

Quackaholic
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Australia
I had one of my ducks lay a double yolker on October 12th. It weighed 126 grams.
46956_huge_egg.jpg

I wasnt going to set it- so it sat on the bench near the incubator for at least 12 days. Not expecting it to do anything- I didnt record the actual date I set the egg but I am sure it was a Thursday as thats bin night and when I would have been tossing other eggs - so dont actually remember when it would be due if it was to get that far. ) I picked it up when I had another that candled clear to throw away- but for some reason popped it in the bator. I really didnt expect anything to happen by that stage- So I was surprised when I did candle to see 2 embryos growing. The egg is now over half way along and all is looking good. I dont have any expectations, but it sure would be something very special to experience. At this stage I can see that both embryos are still the same size. I do feel bad that I left the egg so long as I know that factor in itself may be a reason they dont make it full term.

I candled it at 8 days ans clearly saw the two embryos.
46956_double_yolker.jpg

It is almost easier to see them in the smaller photo as it cut some of the blur.
46956_egg_small.jpg

I did try to take another photo tonight- but I really couldnt get anything that would show up the two separate babies. I dont know how much longer they may continue for- or if they have a chance to actually hatch - but at least wanted to share the photos. The egg is huge - so there should be enough room in there for two of them. I am having to hand turn it once a day as the turner I have in the incubator doesnt turn it far enough each time.

Last edited:
4.5 oz is quite a large egg. I just cooked a double yolker yesterday for the dogs. Had to many eggs on hand and the 4 dogs loved the eggs.

You are right it is a tricky incubation, since 1 will die most of the time and poisons the other. I'm actually surprised that you are even trying to hatch it, since the odds are against you. Keep us posted with the weekly candling.

There have been some cases of twin duck births. I think one was in the UK, but they made national news. So hey, think of it this way, there's always a chance, and it would be really neat to see. We'll all be rooting for it!

It was really only a split second whim that had me put it in the bator. I never intended to when I found it- hence it sitting on the bench for so long. I know the risks and how rare it is- and my only thoughts when I put it in was - well it would be too late for anything to happen by now.

aduckstolemyheart - Yes I have seen youtube footage of those two. From memory it was on a large duck hatchery and they hatched virtually on their own needing only minimal assistance- if any. Romulus and Rhemus I think they were called. I have heard of more live chickens hatching - but I havent let myself think that far ahead to much. It would be a great experience to be there to see a hatch of twins though.

What a cool video! A few years ago I tried to hatch a double-yolker, but they died on day 14.
sad.png
I hope you have better luck than I did!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom