Does anyone actually have a friendly pet rooster?

Not always, some just have different genes. I have a Dominique rooster "Charlie Brown" who loves to be cuddled. He'll follow me around and whine until I pick him up. He'll sit in my lap, eat out of my hand, etc. He doesn't even mind swinging with me! :p

Here's Charlie:
View attachment 1379604

View attachment 1379605

But then again I have some other roosters who aren't aggressive towards me, but won't get near me (unless I have food! :lol:) Most don't like to be cuddled though, after all... what grown man wants to be cuddled all of the time :lau I even have some of his chicks in the brooder right now :love

Yeah, Negan is freindly and he's mature. He's also a faverolles and I'm pretty sure he's gender confused but totally freindly. I broke every single rooster rule when I raised him and he's still a joy. He's pettable, eats from my hand and will sit in my lap. He still manages to be a terrific rooster watching his ladies and now some new chicks 2 sons and a daughter. His boys especially one seem very nice so it is possible his temperament is genetic. I've only had to correct him 1 week of his life when he thought my feet were hens. Obviously my experience is not the norm.:)View attachment 1379612This is the good son Early.View attachment 1379618 Negan, watching the chick pen. The dominique is Hobo and she's stealing the bag of baby food.

Awww Charlie and Negan sound lovely!

I have a one year old roo who was handled quite a lot as a chick who has turned out to be non aggressive and good with his ladies but I did start keeping him at more of a distance as he matured and now he just sort of keeps out of my way and tolerates me interfering with 'his' coop and flock.

But i also have a second boy who was a lone chick I hatched from a bad batch of shipped eggs. He is now three months old and spends most of his time in the house still because he is terrified of my othe chickens!

Now I confess that I do handle him a lot and he follows me around and loves to sleep on my shoulder and i might be guilty of smooshing his little fluffy cheekies from time to time...:oops:
does this mean he is going to turn into a monster on me?

This is Popcorn, my three month old cockerel who I am sooooo hoping won't turn aggressive on me :fl

Attachments

• 20180430_104634.jpg
    20180430_104634.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 14
Awww Charlie and Negan sound lovely!

I have a one year old roo who was handled quite a lot as a chick who has turned out to be non aggressive and good with his ladies but I did start keeping him at more of a distance as he matured and now he just sort of keeps out of my way and tolerates me interfering with 'his' coop and flock.

But i also have a second boy who was a lone chick I hatched from a bad batch of shipped eggs. He is now three months old and spends most of his time in the house still because he is terrified of my othe chickens!

Now I confess that I do handle him a lot and he follows me around and loves to sleep on my shoulder and i might be guilty of smooshing his little fluffy cheekies from time to time...:oops:
does this mean he is going to turn into a monster on me?

I have two golden laced wyandott roosters that are one year old and they are my favorite out of the whole flock. I think that your rooster that is scared of the flock will be your pet because if he doesn't like the rest of the flock he will probably like you but he may decide to dominate you so do what @TheTwoRoos said and don't let him.

Good luck

I'm hopeful he will be OK because even though he comes to me willingly and likes to sit or sleep on me, he actually gets scared whenever I try to pick him up. :confused: if I walk toward him he will always move out of my way and is generally a bit of a wuss, but then he is still quite young.

He started crowing a couple of weeks ago but no sign of any dominance displays yet.:fl

I had planned on rehoming him once he started crowing, thinking he would be much happier with a flock of his own girls, but he just doesn't have any interest in other chickens and runs from them to me every time. I'm aware that could all change once his hormones really kick in though.

Yep, iv'e had some that were not cool at all and I was nice to them.Iv'e had roosters that didn't care, again nicely raised and now there is Negan who is just weird and I raised him pretty much like I did his sisters because I didn't have time to do any different.:)
Eh,that’s a personal opinion,all truth is it comes to down the rooster and a lot of how it is raised.

Back
Top Bottom