Does anyone actually have a friendly pet rooster?

chuckachucka

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 22, 2016
I've been reading a lot about roosters who become human aggressive lately and it seems a common cause is that they were handled so much as chicks that they lost their natural caution around humans and/or started to see humans as on their level and therefore in need of being dominated/defeated. :th

The advice is usually to keep young roosters at a distance so that they learn their place before heir hormones kick in. But does that mean it is impossible to keep a mature rooster as a 'pet' chicken? Does anyone have a rooster who has actually remained friendly after maturity, as in likes to be held/petted, sits on their owner''s lap, even kept as a house chicken etc?

Are mature roosters ALWAYS either mean or aloof??:idunno

I've been reading a lot about roosters who become human aggressive lately and it seems a common cause is that they were handled so much as chicks that they lost their natural caution around humans and/or started to see humans as on their level and therefore in need of being dominated/defeated. :th

The advice is usually to keep young roosters at a distance so that they learn their place before heir hormones kick in. But does that mean it is impossible to keep a mature rooster as a 'pet' chicken? Does anyone have a rooster who has actually remained friendly after maturity, as in likes to be held/petted, sits on their owner''s lap, even kept as a house chicken etc?

Are mature roosters ALWAYS either mean or aloof??:idunno
What I suggest is keeping the bird at arm's length for two years, and then gradually letting them in your 'circle' of personal space. By then their hormones have calmed down and they're better pet candidates. Each bird varies, but I highly discourage starting out with a random cockerel with the intention of taming him.

I am the proud of one.
And no not all are like this,but lots of times during their teen months can get a bit rowdy but can be fixed,personally have never had this issue.
The issue I see is some roosters do actually come from aggressive genes,while some are just not toilet vare of right.The rooster becomes a pet and is treated as such a hen would.
You can’t just keep them and baby them.They will need reassurance of who’s in charge.Can simply be done by making them move out tor way when their in your path walking way,and holding them.Give them treats to give with the hens.Picky he girls up often so they can understand that it is basically natural.I hatched out a three chciks from my rooster Zeus,who I mind you let’s me hold him and as a young boy often sat in my lap and cane in the house to crow.Never had an issue with a crazy rooster.The only time I had an issue occur is when I bring a rooster I haven’t raised my personal self.The chicks I hatched were all three male.All grew up super friendly with absolutely no issues.I needed up only keeping one of his sons and it was more so friendlier than him.He followed me around like dog,never pecked or flogged me.Let me pet him and hold him just like his dad.With proper care and raising,they can be kept as pets.

Not always, some just have different genes. I have a Dominique rooster "Charlie Brown" who loves to be cuddled. He'll follow me around and whine until I pick him up. He'll sit in my lap, eat out of my hand, etc. He doesn't even mind swinging with me! :p

Here's Charlie:
IMG_8976.JPG

IMG_7099.JPG

But then again I have some other roosters who aren't aggressive towards me, but won't get near me (unless I have food! :lol:) Most don't like to be cuddled though, after all... what grown man wants to be cuddled all of the time :lau I even have some of his chicks in the brooder right now :love

Yeah, Negan is freindly and he's mature. He's also a faverolles and I'm pretty sure he's gender confused but totally freindly. I broke every single rooster rule when I raised him and he's still a joy. He's pettable, eats from my hand and will sit in my lap. He still manages to be a terrific rooster watching his ladies and now some new chicks 2 sons and a daughter. His boys especially one seem very nice so it is possible his temperament is genetic. I've only had to correct him 1 week of his life when he thought my feet were hens. Obviously my experience is not the norm.:)
20180504_160456.jpg
This is the good son Early.
20180412_133359.jpg
Negan, watching the chick pen. The dominique is Hobo and she's stealing the bag of baby food.

Last edited:
berierjr 022.JPG
berierjr 026.JPG
Here is an old rooster of mine.This is Zeuses son,this guy was very friendly,regret ever giving him away.

Attachments

• 9E0D4AE3-FBB5-41B1-BBC9-8CCA66106C0B.jpeg
    9E0D4AE3-FBB5-41B1-BBC9-8CCA66106C0B.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 34
My rooster likes to challenge me all the time...I just tell him "no" several times...I THINK he understands, I don't know. He's about a year old and hormonal as heck. He's a Rhode Island Red...he wandered over to our farm from next door when he was about a month old, so we took him in. But once he's in the coop at night, he is calm and I pick him up occasionally and give him a scratch behind the ears. But during the day, I just leave him alone. Maybe in a few years he'll follow me around like a nice pet chicken. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom