does anybody keep laying hens in Greece,NY? (suburb of Rochester,NY)

Wow... just finished reading everyone's posts and I'm really taken back by this. My husband and I moved to rural Hilton in September and are wanting to build a coop and have 3-4 hens. Does anyone know what the rural Hilton regulations are? Amanda, I'm really sorry that you've gone to so much trouble and expense to have a few chickens!! I think it's crazy that Greece won't simply establish some regulations and guidelines on this, charge a fee and simply let people (and chickens) be.

You have to check ecodes. I agree that Greece needs to just let us have chickens. They will actual learn that they are good for the community and amkle some money off of it :)

I'm so sorry you were not able to have chickens legally. I find it very interesting as I'm moving to the Rochester area in a couple months, I am not sure what town yet, but I was planning on getting a couple chickens. It seems Greece is a good town to avoid, does anyone know good towns where we can get 1-5 acres and be within a 30 minute drive on the west side of the city?

Last edited:
the city allows 30 hens and Irondquiot (sp) allows 5 hens.... both have some basic simple rules to follow.

I'm so sorry you were not able to have chickens legally. I find it very interesting as I'm moving to the Rochester area in a couple months, I am not sure what town yet, but I was planning on getting a couple chickens. It seems Greece is a good town to avoid, does anyone know good towns where we can get 1-5 acres and be within a 30 minute drive on the west side of the city?

Albion is the safest bet but it's 45mins west, I can't find info for parma or Hilton. Call park ave reality so the

Amanda -
You still in Greece?
We moved here from Portland, Oregon last year and were very excited to start raising hens. Just last week I found out it was not permitted in Greece. I am considering starting a movement and trying to make a change. Perhaps we could team up? Or I could pick up where you left off??
Let me know if you -or anyone else-is still out there and interested in teaming up on this.
Cheers,
Caroline

I live currently at 237 Ledgewood Drive 14615 - it's off Black Walnut...I back up to Buckman Heights Elementary - I even have fencing all around my property w/trees and such.

and I can tell you it was a definite NO WAY when I went up to the zoning board... - paid the submission fee - and went w/a new plot survey and with a Carolina coop expert like Gnan who knew and could answer everything there was to ask.

my neighbors were concerned about dogs barking and how it would look....one even said she might change her mind later.

I'll confess I don't know my neighbors at all - so that was a HUGE mistake on my part - it just never occurred to me anybody would object.

the concerns w/the zoning board were mostly that the chicken poo would be hazardous to the area....they also didn't think my property was large enough to hold a coop.

frankly it was a pretty darn stupid....Van Putte is on the zoning board and he runs a gardening business....and a the coop I was looking at was designed for apartment buildings so it was good size.

anyhow - I did have TONS of support from folks I didn't know - and several folks living in Greece already had them and just had really cool neighbors.

keep em hidden!

best of luck to you!

amanda
I want chickens and I'm in 14615. I wonder if there is any new updates regarding them. I have a train in my backyard and it's a rather large yard, totally fenced in.

Back
Top Bottom