does anybody keep laying hens in Greece,NY? (suburb of Rochester,NY)

Thanks for thr info, its pretty discouaging....you'd think you were bringing in a pack of pitbulls. Thats a great neighborhood, I'm always looking for a house around there

Ann

I'll be selling mine in 2 years....(have to stay so I won't get taxed to death)....you're more than welcome to it!

237 Ledgewood Dr - 14615

3 bedrooms 2 baths....

it is a great neighborhood - childhood home I grew up in......they just won't let me have chickens - so back to the city!

and they just had an article in last Saturday's paper about keeping backyard chickens....again...

sigh - I wish Greece would get it.

toodles
amanda

It sounds great...if you ever decide you
want to lease it until you can sell it let me know. Fortunately, i have alternative chicken locations in clarendon

I'm only just seeing this. Many local communities around here have the same ideas that the Greece board has... smell, noise, attract predators and of course if you get chickens, next you'll want goats and sheep and cows.

I live in the village of Scottsville. I got my chickens and worked around the law a bit and then fought to change it. Another woman was involved initially but she decided to move instead. It took a year and half but the village now permits up to 3 laying hens. Greatly reduced the distance of the coop to property lines and reduced the size lot needed (1/2 acre or more but there are exceptions... I have 4/10 and am now grandfathered). There is a $100 application fee plus building permit of $10 to build a coop (submit design, etc... I just built it and then submitted stuff after telling them to just come and inspect it.. it was already done :) ) Yea... I'm a little aggressive .

My direct neighbors were perfectly fine with it. I only had one gentleman nearby not want it but he didn't fight it much. He didn't show at the meetings and those in objection that did show were far outnumbered. It did help that this village is traditionally a farming community (still is). Yes, the village boards think that people will come out in masses and have chickens running all over. But in my argument... 1. they are my pets and make less mess and noise than the dog issues in this village - which until recently there was no limit on the number of dogs on a property 2. Do not judge me and the way I will care for my birds on misconceptions and other people's actions and 3. they are providing food for my family and just like other people have the right to use their backyards in manners they enjoy... I have that right too. Then I pointed out that between the issue of 'domesticated hens' has brought more people together than many other issues in this village and I have met more people in a positive manner due to my 'girls'. I look out in my backyard and see my neighbors bring their young children to the fence to see the chickens. I've had people ask to stop by and see them and see my coop.

The only way the law changes is to make it happen. So don't stop. Get supporters and get to the meetings. The night of our last meeting there were people there for other issues... many pointed out - 'don't we have bigger things to worry about in the village than a few chickens' !!

PS: if you garden and the town has an issue with poop... advise them that you will properly compost it to use in your gardens. No animal waste will be disposed of in the municpal garbage/landfill... unlike dog and cat owners that throw animal feces in the trash which is illegal in most communities. It's also illegal to flush it so go figure on how to get rid of it because of course it can not be composted unlike poultry droppings which makes excellent compost. And a compost pile does not smell. I have 2 large ones behind my coop. I actually have neighbors offer grass clippings and leaves to add to it. This helps them not have to bag it and helps my compost :)

Im in Greece as well. Im in the mist of going against the town to get chickens as well. besides yours there has been 2 people went against Greece since 2009 and 2 won. (long pd rd,. latta rd and ledgewood dr). If the two of you above want to join "forces" against the chicken laws in greece email me at [email protected] I just bought my house on Stone Rd and want to self sustain my family... so chickens are needed for me. :)

Oh my. I just got the paper... Your on the front page!! This is amazing!! I want to go against the board so bad. I just dont have money to waste. Im hoping this article helps change the town of greece minds. If they ask if you have supporters... you do here... ME!!! If you need a pention or anything signed... just lmk here or [email protected] :)

Amanda, I don't know if you're still around or not. I was hoping you were on here.

I sent you a private message with my email.

I saw the news article posted today and thought this would be the perfect time to try and change the laws in our town. I too live in Greece NY and was considering just moving out of this town because of the chicken laws.

Get in touch with me, maybe we can figure out a way to "fight city hall".

I think most of my neighbors would be fairly good with the idea (I THINK).

Back
Top Bottom