Do automatic coop doors work for ducks

Borgia

Chirping
Aug 22, 2015
I have a Peking and 2 runners. I was thinking of getting an automatic door like I have seen for chickens but not sure if ducks will go in on their own. Any ideas?

My Khaki Campbells go back into their coop every night once it goes dark, on their own........although that's not 'normal duck behaviour' ;)...... It MIGHT be possible to train them to go in at dusk (although they would expect lots of mealworms as rewards).

I know that "Flyte So Fancy" (although it is a UK based company, they would probably ship) do special duck doors, which require you to herd them in and shut them in yourself at night, and it lets them out in the morning for you.

If you keep the light on in the coop, then yes, they'll go in once it's dark outside. I had ducks at three different times in my life and they all went in this way without being trained. However, they don't go in at dusk, only once it's night-time dark. I wish they did since their main predator (an owl that lives in the woods behind my house) comes out at dusk. So I have to herd them into their covered run an hour before sunset. Then sometimes after dark, I go out and close the coop door. They're all in it by that time. (Had muscovies, pekins, cayugas, now muscovy again and same deal.)

I see this thread is a few months old. What did you ultimately decide to do? I have an auto door & my Swedish Blue duck absolutely goes in by herself. It took me 4-5 days of herding her in every night for her to get it, but once learned, she goes in whether the coop lights are on or not.

I have an automatic door that is set to open at a certain time in the morning and closes automatically when it gets dark. My ducks go in the coop before the door closes with no light on in the coop. It took a couple of days to train them with mealworms to go in but it wasn't hard. Automatic doors can be used with ducks.

Back
Top Bottom