Do automatic coop doors work for ducks

I see this thread is a few months old. What did you ultimately decide to do? I have an auto door & my Swedish Blue duck absolutely goes in by herself. It took me 4-5 days of herding her in every night for her to get it, but once learned, she goes in whether the coop lights are on or not.

Mine work very well with my ducks. Geese, too. They go in on their own at night every night before the door closes. All of them do it, no herding necessary. No light in the coop required, either :)

Ducks are very trainable... and once they have a set schedule, they stick to it...

If I need to put mine up early, it is a battle royal... but once dusk hits, their butts are all up, no exceptions... it's just like kids and the game 'Last one in is a rotten egg!', lol...

So, yes, automatic doors do work for ducks... :)

I don't have an automatic door, but my ducks are in the coop before dark every night without fail, so I don't see why an automatic door wouldn't work for them. I find the ducks to be far easier to train than the chickens.

Our ducks will go in once it starts getting dark. We have a camera right on our phone so we can see them. We also have an automatic door that we can close right from our phone once we see they are in safe and sound. In the morning we just open it from our phone. Very handy especially when we are not home to close them in.

Oooohhhh...and where did you get such a device? That would be so very handy!

Well my husband did this before we went on vacation and it was great. I will get the details from him tomorrow and post his answer.
I would love to know the details on this. Going on vacation in a couple of weeks and this might be my answer to only hiring a part time care person for my ducks - instead of hiring 2 people (one to let them out in the early morning and one to let them in at night)

Ok, my husband bought an
"Add-a-Motor Automatic Chicken Coop Automatic Motor"
door.
IMG_7892.jpg

That is plugged into a
"TP Link Smart Plug Mini"
You download the app that goes with it and then you can open and close the door from your phone.
IMG_7893.jpg

He also added a
"TP Link Smart WiFi Light Switch"
You can turn the lights on and off with the same app.
IMG_7894.jpg

We also have a security camera inside and outside of their house so we can see them to make sure they are all in at night before we close their door and turn off their lights.

I hope that helps and you could understand my explanation.

Back
Top Bottom