****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

That's what I think I have to do. Put the extension. Also what about height from the ground? I think I read that I should raise it off the ground. I had that hanging round feeder about 8 inches off the ground but now I have younger smaller hens so I put the PVC pipe feeder on the ground.

Does anyone else have trouble with the build-up of dust in these U-shaped PVC feeders? We made a couple, and while I like the idea of them, the one with crumbles doesn't work well. First, the feed doesn't seem to flow as well as the one with pellets. And second, there's always such a build-up of dust from crumbles that I have to scoop it out by hand to expose more of the crumbles. I have this trouble in regular store-bought feeders, too, but I have yet to find crumbles that don't have a lot of dust in them. Any thoughts on how to alleviate this problem? We're thinking of cutting out the bottom of the horizontal tube and replacing it with screen in hopes the dust will fall through but are worried this will cause more friction and restrict the flow of the feed even more.

I have a problem with mine also . Not sure what to do
sad.png

Does anyone else have trouble with the build-up of dust in these U-shaped PVC feeders? We made a couple, and while I like the idea of them, the one with crumbles doesn't work well. First, the feed doesn't seem to flow as well as the one with pellets. And second, there's always such a build-up of dust from crumbles that I have to scoop it out by hand to expose more of the crumbles. I have this trouble in regular store-bought feeders, too, but I have yet to find crumbles that don't have a lot of dust in them. Any thoughts on how to alleviate this problem? We're thinking of cutting out the bottom of the horizontal tube and replacing it with screen in hopes the dust will fall through but are worried this will cause more friction and restrict the flow of the feed even more.

I have a problem with mine also . Not sure what to do
sad.png
You could try to cut out a window on the bottom of the u-shape and replace it with mesh so that the dust would fall through like you said, or maybe drill very small holes in the pipe so the dust falls through? (would be nice to experiment and see if either works)
Many people use this powder and wet it down and make a mash that the girls really like, so you may want to stick something under it to capture it for use later...

Last edited:

You can do what I do, nothing.

The dust is food.

I wait till all the food is gone before refilling the feeders.

Thanks for the suggestion to save the dust and make a mash, Cluckies. Wish I'd thought of that before throwing out so much of it in the past! RonP and WVDoug, since my chickens free range, dust is never going to be high on their list of what to eat.

Thanks for the suggestion to save the dust and make a mash, Cluckies. Wish I'd thought of that before throwing out so much of it in the past! RonP and WVDoug, since my chickens free range, dust is never going to be high on their list of what to eat.

Face it, pellets or crumbles will not be high on their list either if they freerange.

You keep referring to the pulverized food as dust...

The power you see obviously is the same food as the crumbles or pellets that came from the bag.

You are throwing out food...

This powered food is certainly recognized for what it is to the birds, and they will eat it regardless of its physical form if hungry.

My birds have choices as do yours. If they find something more desirable, they are going to eat it regardless.

They always amaze me as to how well they clean out their feeders...even with all else available.

Back
Top Bottom