****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Ha! No, he just figured a screw in would be easier to get off and on for me..my hands don't work as good as they used to (retired manicurist). It's easier, but the rain goes down in the threads, and the food got moldy up around the top. I had sick chickens for a bit, and wouldn't be surprised one bit if that was the cause.

Well, happy you got yourself a handy man:)

Hey mat2dong, I made my waterer with the nipples and the bucket, only I put three lengths of thick clear tubing coming out of the bucket. I attached the nipples to the ends. The bucket sits outside the coop with two tubes on the outside, and one tube going in a hole to the inside, so they can get a drink from in or out. If I put a heater in that bucket, do you think it will keep the tubes from freezing up?

Call me Matt my friend:)

I think it two things about the tank heater. 1. Make sure it is rated to heat double the amount of water you have to heat. So if your using a 5gal bucket get a tank heater that will heat 10gal. 2. One way to find out:) It will not hurt to try it out!

If you can post some photo's of your feeder and water setups!

Lord Bless you!

Call me Matt my friend:)
I think it two things about the tank heater. 1. Make sure it is rated to heat double the amount of water you have to heat. So if your using a 5gal bucket get a tank heater that will heat 10gal. 2. One way to find out:) It will not hurt to try it out!
If you can post some photo's of your feeder and water setups!
Lord Bless you!

Also, remember! When you heat water it turns to steam so you will have to give the steam a way to get out otherwise the lid will pop off. As you know the water does not have to be that hot to build up steam but you will see it more in winter.

Ok, Matt! Yes, my husband is handy..but it's really me. I built my own coop, and I absolutely love tools...I could spend all day looking at tools in the store. I'll take some pics of the coop when I get back..gotta go into town for a bit. My waterer already has a hole in the top, as that is how I fill it back up. It's a lot easier than prying the lid off every time.

Ok, Matt! Yes, my husband is handy..but it's really me. I built my own coop, and I absolutely love tools...I could spend all day looking at tools in the store. I'll take some pics of the coop when I get back..gotta go into town for a bit. My waterer already has a hole in the top, as that is how I fill it back up. It's a lot easier than prying the lid off every time.

Well, good! My wife is handy as well! We make a great team:)

As for the waterer, all you need to do then is get the tank heater and try it out. Your ready:)

Hi! I have the same problem. The food gets stuck at the bend and I have to rock the whole thing to get it to slide down into the coop. I also need an idea on how to cover it at night to keep mice out and to keep the food from getting wet and mouldy when the sprinklers go on at night. I need to be able to cover it without going into the coop.
Here are some pictures:

You can see the feeder (orange) is at an angle and the (grey) bend is at an angle too. The feeder is enclosed by 3 sides but that is not enough when the sprinklers go on.

Here you can see the part of the feeder that is outside the coop (sorry the pic was taken in the dark, I can take more if you need them). I pour the feed down the tube and it gets stuck in the grey bend. I have to shake it to get it going further down into the coop.

Hi! I have the same problem. The food gets stuck at the bend and I have to rock the whole thing to get it to slide down into the coop. I also need an idea on how to cover it at night to keep mice out and to keep the food from getting wet and mouldy when the sprinklers go on at night. I need to be able to cover it without going into the coop.
Here are some pictures:

You can see the feeder (orange) is at an angle and the (grey) bend is at an angle too. The feeder is enclosed by 3 sides but that is not enough when the sprinklers go on.

Here you can see the part of the feeder that is outside the coop (sorry the pic was taken in the dark, I can take more if you need them). I pour the feed down the tube and it gets stuck in the grey bend. I have to shake it to get it going further down into the coop.

I've noticed the same problem when the feed part of the pipe is tilted forward which looks like that's the case here and your second photo. Adjusted to where the feed part of the pipe is straight up and down and see if that helps:)

Also, this system relies on the chickens being able to peck at the feed in the elbow (the 90° angle) so that it drops down, then they spread it throughout the trough with their beaks. In your first photo it looks like they can't really reach the elbow with their beaks. Maybe cut some of the trough off so that they can easily reach the elbow.

As for the mice and water I would need to see your layout to help you there. Get some cats or traps to kill mice and stop the water from hitting your coop is all I can offer.

Let me know how it goes please!

Here are some better pictures I took today:

The food gets stuck in the grey bend. I have to bang agianst it to get it to go into the orange part. Now I understand a chicken is supposed to peck at it and it will roll forward for her sisters?
Since the whole feeder part is tilted I thought there would be no problem.

As for the mice - I have 3 dogs and I am allergic to cats so, no. I have traps ( I release them out of town), but I would rather not feed them in the first place.
The sprinklers need to go off - this is my lawn!
I was thinking of something that would cover the feeder, that I could lift up in the morning and cover at night without entering the coop.

Back
Top Bottom