****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

I made both of these things for my coop..and here are the cons: make sure you have a cap on the feeder that will not allow water to get in, as then you have moldy food. As for the nipples...make sure they are attached very tightly..the chickens pull them off and then all the water dumps out. By the way, I have my tube feeder on the outside, but it actually fits into a hole at the bottom of the coop, and is on the inside. Other than that..it's all good!

Yes, I agree about the cap. I was thinking I listed that as one of the things you need for the feeder.

The waterer nipples have to be put on good or they will leak. The nipples are cheap and so is the pipe feeder so it is worth it to try it out:)

When you guys make it post it please!

Okay, I bought the PVC pipe today and I thought about a cover when I was at the store and bought a cover for both ends. At the store they were nice enough to cut the pipe into 3 pieces. The smallest pipe they cut 5 rectangles (all free of charge). After I got home I used Silicon to glue one of the covers on to the pipe with the rectangles. Tomorrow when it is dry I will see how I will attach it. I have to think about the rodents. My coop is an A frame tractor (see pictures here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/692525/getting-ready-to-start-have-some-concerns/10#post_9615331 ) and I am not yet sure where to attach the feeder. I am going away for 2 days next week, so I need to figure this out ASAP.

Had the pipe, bought the elbow and 2 caps about 6 bucks. Had the wood it is mounted on(dumpster picking) and lags.Will hold about 10 pounds of feed to accompany this next thing. $5 for the bottom pan.

Last edited:

Had the pipe, bought the elbow and 2 caps about 6 bucks. Had the wood it is mounted on(dumpster picking) and lags.Will hold about 10 pounds of feed to accompany this next thing. $5 for the bottom pan.

O, I like the bucket feeder as well!!

I like my pipe feeder because I fill it from outside my coop:)

Yes, I agree about the cap. I was thinking I listed that as one of the things you need for the feeder.
The waterer nipples have to be put on good or they will leak. The nipples are cheap and so is the pipe feeder so it is worth it to try it out:)
When you guys make it post it please!

Yes, you did have the cap on your list, I should have said don't buy the screw on kind....as my husband found out!

O, I like the bucket feeder as well!!

I like my pipe feeder because I fill it from outside my coop:)

I keep the feed in a rubbermaid tote in the coop anyway so its not a big deal filling them.The bucket feeder has been modified since that picture it now has a deeper pan so they don't spoon out any feed. Plus the waterer is in there too,although during non freezing months they prefer the water in the run

Last edited:
I keep the feed in a rubbermaid tote in the coop anyway so its not a big deal filling them.The bucket feeder has been modified since that picture it now has a deeper pan so they don't spoon out any feed. Plus the waterer is in there too,although during non freezing months they prefer the water in the run

My coop is not a walk in so it is really cool for me to fill the feed pipe from outside:)

Poor guy:) Did he try gluing it? LOL!
Ha! No, he just figured a screw in would be easier to get off and on for me..my hands don't work as good as they used to (retired manicurist). It's easier, but the rain goes down in the threads, and the food got moldy up around the top. I had sick chickens for a bit, and wouldn't be surprised one bit if that was the cause.

Hey mat2dong, I made my waterer with the nipples and the bucket, only I put three lengths of thick clear tubing coming out of the bucket. I attached the nipples to the ends. The bucket sits outside the coop with two tubes on the outside, and one tube going in a hole to the inside, so they can get a drink from in or out. If I put a heater in that bucket, do you think it will keep the tubes from freezing up?

Back
Top Bottom