Dislocated hip

goliadmom

Hatching
Apr 28, 2023
My avian vet confirmed with X-rays my 14 day old gosling has somehow dislocated his hip. I’ve got him in a sling so he can’t put weight on it until Tuesday while the vet tries to find a solution by talking to fellow avian vets overs the weekend. Anyone have any suggestions or help with this? He says he can pop it back into place however there’s not a good way to stabilize it. I’m determined to create something that’ll work. This baby already has my heart.

The sooner it’s done the better while the gosling is still growing. Usually the femur or the pelvis itself will break before the joint pops out. Once it’s popped back into place try to keep the baby immobile as much as possible, even if you have to make a sling for them while everything heals up.

The sooner it’s done the better while the gosling is still growing. Usually the femur or the pelvis itself will break before the joint pops out. Once it’s popped back into place try to keep the baby immobile as much as possible, even if you have to make a sling for them while everything heals up.
He/she has been in a sling since it happened. It’s built so he can eat and drink and sleep but can’t put his feet on the ground. The affected leg seems to be getting worse. He’s keeping that foot curled now. Any suggestions on casting or splinting after it’s popped back into place?

You can make a shoe to keep the foot flat and not curled. Take a piece of plastic like a cool whip container and cut to the form of the foot then wrap it in vet wrap to cover sharp edges. Lay the foot flat in normal position then take vet wrap and cover making sure to go up past the ankle. It needs to be snug but not cutting off circulation.

Back
Top Bottom