URGENT Duck Dislocated Hip

gramsdaleducks

Hatching
Sep 7, 2022
Hello, I have a pet Cayuga duck named Big Mama who has dislocated her hip overnight. I have had this happen to a previous duck, and due to where I live (extremely rural island with no mainland access except boat) there is only one, very busy vet, and he was not able to see her within the 24 hour window he says there is to fix a dislocated bird hip. This time again, I called the vet ASAP and he won't be able to see her within the 24 hr window again. SO I am desperate for any information on HOW to pop a bird's femur back into the hip joint. I've been researching for 4 hours online and haven't found ANYTHING. I've seen guides on bracing, poultry podiatry, etc linked in similar dislocation threads on this forum but nothing on how to actually pop it back into place which is what I need in order to save my baby. If anyone has any information they can share with me over the next 12 hours it would be massively appreciated as I don't think I can bear to put her down over something that IS treatable if I can get the right information.

So far I've:
Separated her so she is not walking around
Checked all bones of her legs and feet for breaks, and found none
Seen there is no swelling on her leg itself
Seen she doesn't exhibit signs of pain unless the hip area itself is touched

You might need to try to pop it back and if that fails you should find vets in your area that know how to treat waterfowl and/or poultry

Back
Top Bottom