Diesel fuel as tick and flea repellent

AxelCoon

Songster
5 Years
Aug 25, 2018
Romania
Good evening again beautiful people; I was wondering: Back in my home country our old folks usually spray diesel fuel on the wooden walls of coops to repel parasytes and this is a very old tradition. Now, if you've seen my other thread about my new flock, you would have known that i now own 2 large separate flocks of chickens. As for the new flock (bought from my dead neighbors family), I had to build a new coop. I made it from wood. My chickens usually free roam around my huge orchard from about 6 AM to 7 PM. If I spray the wooden walls of the coop with diesel fuel, it usually impregnates into the wood before chickens come to sleep - would it be toxic for them? I've been doing this for my other flock which is almost 5 years old - but these new chickens seem to be much more frail than the latter.
Thanks a lot! Axel.

x2! It's toxic, and smells bad, and would not be good for your birds to inhale all night.
Try something else! Permethrin spray will do nicely out there, and dries with little or no odor.
Mary
Permethrin 10% liquid DOES have an odor after properly mixed w/water and sprayed. I use it, and use fans to dry and ventilate afterwards.
The powder smell isnt strong at all.:)
003.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom