DFW Texas, How much ventilation in the coop?

3toTeach

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2019
North Texas
We’re nearing the end of our coop build and wondering how much ventilation do we need in the Texas heat. It’s fairly large, 10x12 with 16 chickens. We have installed windows and vents with approximately 16 sq ft of ventilation I’ve reading several posts, but they seem a bit vague when it come to square footage and ventilation in hotter climates.
How much ventilation should there be in the Texas heat (I understand as much as possible. I simply want to ensure they are safe and do not want my babies to overheat during the night)?
Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

I live in McKinney tx. I raise heritage cornish. They are a tight feathered bird. No insulating fluff like on other breeds. My community grow out coop is open on the south and I have multiple breeding pens without a coop but a tarp that covers 1/3 of the pen. They live in these year round without problems.

In a really hot climate I'd do at least one entire side of the coop in wire mesh. Or multiple walls half mesh, half solid (usually mesh in top half, solid in bottom half). If you have a decent roof overhangs and place the open sides away from prevailing winds, rain shouldn't be a huge issue... or you could put in temporary covers during rain or winter storms, as needed.

Back
Top Bottom