Corn and Soy free......?

Jennifer

We are ordering organic corn soy and canola free feed in Phoenix Arizona. You should check it out. It is also cheaper than any other organic feed available here in Arizona; which is the surprising. There are a lot of people joining this group I am part of. They just expanded to cover outside of Phoenix too, perhaps if you have enough volume, you could have a truck stop by your part of California. Check out the website for the group and I'm sure you can talk to someone about it: www.phoenixorganicfeed.com

Good luck

Soy, gluten, and sugar cause obesity. Soy is especially harmful to women because it contains phytoestrogens which may cause breast cancer, or others whether the soy is organic or not. So, if soy is fed to organic chickens or not beware. The corn, on the other hand, as long as its organic is not very harmful.

Soy, gluten, and sugar cause obesity. Soy is especially harmful to women because it contains phytoestrogens which may cause breast cancer, or others whether the soy is organic or not. So, if soy is fed to organic chickens or not beware. The corn, on the other hand, as long as its organic is not very harmful.

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
It sounds like you know quite a lot about soy and such.

I am confused about the soy as I have read a lot of conflicting reports about soy. When the chicken eats, it does break down its food and absorbs the nutrients, fats, proteins etc and then builds its own molecules for use like manufacturing albumin for the egg yolks. So where I get confused is what parts of the soy will pass into the chicken unbroken down and then how do they end up in the eggs? What part of the eggs have the highest levels and are there any studies that show the relative amounts of the phytoestrogen in the egg--something like eating one egg is the equivalent of eating x amount of soy? Some sources I have read say eating some forms of soy is fine but other types are more of a problem. Your answer would really help me to better understand what is going on, so thanks!

Here is a study done by Ohio State University which discusses soy fed to chickens and the transfer of those phytonutrients into the eggs and tissues. Also mentioned is how long the soy remains with the birds after soy consumption has been discontinued: http://www.phoenixorganicfeed.com/u..._transfer_from_feed_into_eggs_and_tissues.pdf

Wow, thanks for this article!
To summarize (chapter 4), they found that the egg yolk contains the isoflavones (primarily Daidzein and Equol) and that in 'regular' soy containing feed the combined amount of isoflavones was max 55 (47+/- 7) micrograms/100 grams of yolk (0.000055grams). A generous large yolk weighs 20 grams so the total isoflavone concentration per yolk is 0.00001 grams.

I am ready for the next article! Does anyone know in general what the threshold for isoflavones is for folks with sensitivities? 0.00001 seems like such a tiny number as to not be very significant but I am sure there must be some information out there that will prove me wrong! The study also talked about how some people wanted to add more isoflavones into their diets. Does anyone know if there are any studies that have shown recommendations minimum amounts of isoflavones if you wanted to actually add them into your diet as a nutrient?

I am eager to learn more and really appreciate the information!

Wow, thanks for this article!
To summarize (chapter 4), they found that the egg yolk contains the isoflavones (primarily Daidzein and Equol) and that in 'regular' soy containing feed the combined amount of isoflavones was max 55 (47+/- 7) micrograms/100 grams of yolk (0.000055grams). A generous large yolk weighs 20 grams so the total isoflavone concentration per yolk is 0.00001 grams.

I am ready for the next article! Does anyone know in general what the threshold for isoflavones is for folks with sensitivities? 0.00001 seems like such a tiny number as to not be very significant but I am sure there must be some information out there that will prove me wrong! The study also talked about how some people wanted to add more isoflavones into their diets. Does anyone know if there are any studies that have shown recommendations minimum amounts of isoflavones if you wanted to actually add them into your diet as a nutrient?

I am eager to learn more and really appreciate the information!
I don't know any numbers, but from experience (being sensitive to soy), any food made with commercial, store bought eggs is enough to trigger an allergic reaction. It's probably going to depend on the severity of your reaction to soy, as well as your type of reaction (headache, hives, etc). If you think you have a sensitivity to soy, then the knowledge that soy proteins are in eggs should be enough to make you think twice about consuming them.

The more you know....

Not sure that helps if you're looking for more scientific information. It's still a hot topic, and there isn't a lot more research out there that's easily accessible. It's starting to become more known, though. At least, in my circle it is :)

I haven't done any extensive reading on the effects of soy on chickens. But I do know that GMOs are causing major problems from super weeds to fertility issues and bee die off. Scratch and Peck started and is headquartered in my town, so for me it is local in addition to being GMO-free. I do feed S&P corn and scratch during the winter.

So for me, I guess it is environmental, political, and supporting local small business too. And the chooks love it. A neighbor of mine recently switched to S&P feed and his hens started laying like crazy. I can't see any reason to switch to something else.

Haven't commented on the thread in a long time but thought I'd say that I get my grains from a local feed mill to make my basic feed. When I originally started with chickens I had the mill make it to order (no soy, organic, and as much animal protein as possible with Fertrel as the mineral mix). I had to purchase a minimum of 300 lbs and I shared with another person I found in an on-line organic chicken group. (300 lbs is a lot for 6 chickens...but much less than some mills require if you're having them mix it special.)

After about a year I decided to just purchase the components and make it myself. The feed is very basic as I also feed other items especially during the winter when they can't free-range. They get raw liver and ground meat as an additional animal protein source as available.

A couple of sources I found to get liver are a local butcher shop that sells local farm meats that are raised without antibiotics and hormones. They also sell grass-fed when available. They sell liver at .50/lb. for animal feed but I prefer not to use it unless there is no source of grass-fed as I perfer to have liver from healthy animals (and, of course, a grain-fed animal is not going to be at optimum health). I have a friend that hunts venison and he has started routinely bringing the livers to me for the chickens so I most often have free liver from a source which still gets to choose what it eats without it being forced into a feed program.
wink.png
I partially freeze the livers so they are easy to cut, then cut them into tiny pieces and lay them out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to freeze. Then they go into a zip-lock ready to break some off, thaw and feed.

I guess the purpose of my post is this: It is not hard to make a basic feed with a very few ingredients and use that as the basis for your feed if they get to range and have other variety of foods available to them as well. I encourage folks to check with feed mills in your areas as the price for a 50 lb bag of organic feed grains or field peas and a bag of fertrel and some fish meal is not as expensive as purchasing the ready-made, overcooked varieties. Even the ones that are just ground are often rancid by the time you are able to feed it and you lose a lot of the nutrients in the mix. And if you can find a mill that will sell you the items it is usually much less expensive than purchasing it at a "human" store!

I love having the whole grains ready to grind fresh so it's not going rancid. I also lacto- ferment my feed as well and they get a good source of probiotics not only from the ferment but from the addition of other fermented items and some avian probiotics added from time to time.

I would love to be in an area in which I didn't have to feed any legumes at all to my birds. Based on what I've research over the last few years it seems that they are not designed to eat legumes at all. I keep striving for ways to reduce veg. protein and increase animal/insect protein as much as possible. I have several ideas to that end and keep working toward a way to continue a more natural diet for them even throughout the winter months as well!

Back
Top Bottom