Corn and Soy free......?

Quote from kizanne Just so that you know, they were spraying Glyphosate (along with other weed killers) on fields long before Round-up ready crops.
wink.png

Chris

Just so that you know, they were spraying Glyphosate (along with other weed killers) on fields long before Round-up ready crops.
wink.png

Chris
So this makes it a good idea? Really.

How long has the incidence of various cancers been on the rise?

Nah, there can't possibly be a connection. Or Monsanto would have told us - they only have our health and well-being in mind.
wink.png

So this makes it a good idea? Really.

How long has the incidence of various cancers been on the rise?

Nah, there can't possibly be a connection. Or Monsanto would have told us - they only have our health and well-being in mind.
wink.png
Where in my post did I say it was a good idea?

Here's my post,
Chris

Thank you for the most informative site. I am from Zimbabwe and at least GMO's are not a problem because they were not allowed to set foot here. However I found your information on soya bean ( i.e problems as a feed in their raw state ) most useful. I am planning to roast them mixing with corn and grinding into a meal for backyard chickens, turkeys and ducks. Please comment on my proposal.

In my personal opinion:

I would not feed soy at all - even roasted. I like to try to feed my animals items that they would eat if they were in their natural environment in the wild. Since soy is toxic in it's raw state you won't see them eating it. (And I'm pretty sure no one has ever seen them build a fire and roast any...) I know of an instance in which someone grew a garden with various items in it, including soy, for their chickens to range. The chickens ate everything in the garden EXCEPT THE SOY. They wouldn't even touch the greens of the plants.

Another issue with soy is the phytoestrogens that are also a huge concern for health.

So.. and in my opinion... I would not use soy. There are plenty of other items that could be used that will be much healthier and more natural diet for them.

There may be some information on soy on the Weston Price Foundation web site. This would be more aimed at people, but may discuss feeding of soy to cattle and other animals as well. They were not meant to digest this item and soy has created numerous health issues for animals that are forced to eat it as their only choice.

Again...just my opinion and choice.

For me it is nutrition reasons.

A huge percentage of soy & corn grown in the US is Genetically modified (GMO). There is a whole lot of information regarding the dangers of GMO foods out there if you look. The mercola.com website has a lot of that information with links to studies done on the effects of GMO items on health. Go to the site and search for genetically modified or GMO and there are many footnoted articles.

I don't believe corn is bad for chickens - just be careful that it is not genetically modified.

That being said, soy is one of those things that, it seems, was never meant for consumption unless it is fermented. It is not healthy for you or for animals. However the US has an abundance of it and has to do something with it. It ends up being presented as a health food but has had some pretty devestating effects on health all around.

You can read about soy in The Whole Soy Story. http://www.amazon.com/The-Whole-Soy...9751/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338074898&sr=8-1

As far as feeding soy to chickens, it is NOT a food that they would choose to eat on their own. I have even read of folks that grew several grain crops and some soy alongside for their chickens and try as they might, they couldn't get the chickens to eat even the soy plants let alone the beans. If you'll notice, feed that has soy in it always has "roasted soy" rather than raw. That is because it causes nutritional problems in it's raw state (if you could even get a chicken to eat it). It has to be roasted to make it somewhat useable nutritionally.

Now...when was the last time you saw a group of wild chickens sitting around a campfire roasting soybeans? (I just had to say that....quite a picture, huh?)

I know I didn't footnote any of my statements but I encourage you to do a bit of a study on the effects of soy on humans. As a quick reference, the mercola.com website has lots of links to articles and studies on soy as well.
Political ?? no just good sense. . i agree with this poster. its genetically modified garbage as far as im concerned. its not good for us, and not good for my birds.

Thank you for the most informative site. I am from Zimbabwe and at least GMO's are not a problem because they were not allowed to set foot here. However I found your information on soya bean ( i.e problems as a feed in their raw state ) most useful. I am planning to roast them mixing with corn and grinding into a meal for backyard chickens, turkeys and ducks. Please comment on my proposal.
Corn and soy are fine (non-GMO) in my opinion but they would be healthier with a little added variety- at the very least some greens like grass or free ranging to eat weeds/grasses for vitamins.

I buy organic soy/corn feed (the only ingredients in it are soy and corn with artificial vitamins + minerals) and mix it in as desired with:

wheat (whole berries)
millet
black oil sunflower seeds
rolled barley
rolled oats
organic cracked corn
split peas
unsalted peanuts

Enjoy your chickens!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom