Columbian wyandottes

You can go to my web page on here and see my line of birds. They are big, have pretty good type and color. There are very few good Columbian Wyandottes that meet the standard. Those you get from the commercial hatcheries are just that commercial, small birds with a lot of technical problems, wrong body shape, poor tails, extremely tight feathering, but mainly inverted spikes. Three different times over the 30 years of raising Columbians using a different hatchery each time I would ordered in 25 pullets. Last year I kept 2 all the others had inverted spikes. What a huge waste of my money. Same for the 5 males. This tells me that the flock that all of the hatcheries get their birds from do not care to cull out for defects. I am not sure but all of the major hatcheries do drop shipments of this breed so that makes me think they are using the same flock for all of the hatcheries. If I am wrong I sure would like to know who has the good ones. I have seen a couple of good pictures that people have said they purchased from a commercial hatchery but they did not say which hatchery they received them from. Duane Urch's hatchery birds in MN should be fairly good quality. He is a quality breeders or really tries to be from the chicks I have received from him in the past. Paul's in FL looked like he had good ones but then when I went to order in some they had sold the flock off.

You can go to my web page on here and see my line of birds. They are big, have pretty good type and color. There are very few good Columbian Wyandottes that meet the standard. Those you get from the commercial hatcheries are just that commercial, small birds with a lot of technical problems, wrong body shape, poor tails, extremely tight feathering, but mainly inverted spikes. Three different times over the 30 years of raising Columbians using a different hatchery each time I would ordered in 25 pullets. Last year I kept 2 all the others had inverted spikes. What a huge waste of my money. Same for the 5 males. This tells me that the flock that all of the hatcheries get their birds from do not care to cull out for defects. I am not sure but all of the major hatcheries do drop shipments of this breed so that makes me think they are using the same flock for all of the hatcheries. If I am wrong I sure would like to know who has the good ones. I have seen a couple of good pictures that people have said they purchased from a commercial hatchery but they did not say which hatchery they received them from. Duane Urch's hatchery birds in MN should be fairly good quality. He is a quality breeders or really tries to be from the chicks I have received from him in the past. Paul's in FL looked like he had good ones but then when I went to order in some they had sold the flock off.
Well I didn't want to order from a hatchery, so I ordered from Duane, he has been breeding over 50 yrs and is an APA judge. I am hoping these chicks turn out super because I want to show some of them the following January at a large show near me.

Nice looking female. Very clean and I am thinking by the picture she is a young pullet? 4-6 months old? Were did you say you got yours from?
Yes, in that photo. She is now in a breeding pen under her father for her first official pairing along side her mother.
I bought my birds from a breeder here in Oklahoma and he is a wonderful mentor. His line of birds was a improvement on another long time Oklahoma CW breeder who has since passed.

I have tried to find a web site for him but have not. That really surprises me because I would love to know how much to pay before I order. He does have good stock. Some breeds are better because of what I call tradition...RIR, RCRIR, Buckeye, and others. I would love to see some pictures of them once you get them at about 6 months. Good luck with them it would be nice to have someone else working on the breed. Most of the breeders that have them do not put them as their focus breed.

Keep in touch...

Back
Top Bottom