Columbian wyandottes

I have tried to find a web site for him but have not. That really surprises me because I would love to know how much to pay before I order. He does have good stock. Some breeds are better because of what I call tradition...RIR, RCRIR, Buckeye, and others. I would love to see some pictures of them once you get them at about 6 months. Good luck with them it would be nice to have someone else working on the breed. Most of the breeders that have them do not put them as their focus breed.

Keep in touch...
Are you referring to Duane Urch? I have his information if you need it.

Try contacting Duane Urch at his email. [email protected]
I understand that Urch/Turnland Poultry does not actually have a web site.
Here is the listing info from the list of Minnesota hatchery
Urch/Turnland Poultry
2142 NW 47 Ave.
Owatonna, MN 55060
507-451-6782 between 7-9 P.M. CST

Not sure I can explain it but in good rose comb birds their comb (end part I call the tail) is to follow the head. An inverted spike is where end part of the comb is pushed back into the comb and then comes out in some cases or goes up. Not sure what the other one is called but it is when the "tail" of the comb is some what following the tail but has one or two points that follow along side of it.

So in my culling process any male or female that has one of those two showing they are culled out into the sale pen of backyard pen for females or the fryer pen for males.

I wish I had some pictures to show you so if I get some this next year I will take some pictures for explanation purposes. This is one thing that come in a lot of the commercial flock because they do not cull birds out that show signs of it.

63590_601145696579371_1091747052_n.jpg

my pullet

I just posted in the Illinois thread about the extra Columbian Wyandotte roo's at Primrose Farm Park, St. Charles, IL. If you need a roo, check them out.
Look at that post for some photos and info.

Also, here are some of their hens and pullets (and a roo or two snuck into the photos). Not all pure, some don't have rose combs, but they're a good healthy flock.

Are you asking about using a White Wyandotte on the Columbian Female or something like that? If so yes I do know just need to ask the specific question so I can answer you correctly.

Yes let me be more detailed. I am new to chickens but have raised rabbits and various other livestock. I'm getting some columbian wyandottes from mcmurray just to play with. i love the breed type for them represented in the standard, so would like to learn what i can abt color genetics for when I go hunting breeding birds. in my experience wit rabbits, whites are generally very large, hardy, and well typed in breeds with several varieties. from what ive read so far, this appears to be true with wyandottes as well.

So what I'm wondering is how the white and columbian genetics will interplay if I select white roosters to add type and size to columbian hens. if you know of any thorough works on vhicken color genetics, please feel free just to point me that way. the more detailed and technical the better! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom