Chicks sneezing often - respiratory infection?

Thanks for clarifying that. Go with the Tylosin without tartrate. Tartrate may be entirely safe, but chickens are so sensitive, it's safer to avoid it. If anyone knows about tartrate and can correct me, I would welcome it.

Respiratory infections in chickens are often caused by a virus, but bacteria comes along and causes the symptoms to worsen. It's this bacteria that the Tylosin is treating. VetRX is a good product, but it is not a drug. It relieves symptoms, doesn't kill bacteria.

Respiratory viruses can come into the flock from chicks bought from private parties, or from feed store chicks where there is inadequate bio-safety and customers are allowed to handle chicks. Unfortunately, once a virus enters a flock, it will then flare up occasionally when the flock is stressed.

Last edited:
Go with the Tylosin without tartrate. Tartrate may be entirely safe, but chickens are so sensitive, it's safer to avoid it. If anyone knows about tartrate and can correct me, I would welcome it.
@Eggcessive, I see you advise using Tylosin Tartrate on other threads. Do you know anything about the tartrate? Thanks

My mother posted about our chicks on a local Facebook group, and someone suggested using this: https://www.springwateravian.farm/product/dac-1-1-cure/

Here's what they said about it:
Bromhexine helps with congestion. Springwater Avian Health sells a powder alone, or with an antibiotic. I’d get the one with doxycycline to treat whatever they have going on.

What do you guys think?

Relieved to see you have experienced peeps helping you! Also wondering if you can change brooder location to a dryer, no draft place? Not that it's the cause but I feel like I'd move them incase they're in a drafty spot with cold wet air.

Relieved to see you have experienced peeps helping you! Also wondering if you can change brooder location to a dryer, no draft place? Not that it's the cause but I feel like I'd move them incase they're in a drafty spot with cold wet air.
I set up some towels to block the draft (not that there was much in the first place) and also set up a heater and a de-humidifier.

I went ahead and ordered this medicine last night. It has both Tylosin (without the Tartrate) and Doxycycline. I also ordered Echinacea root extract that will arrive tomorrow. The VetRX seems to be alleviating the symptoms for now. Hopefully the medicine will arrive soon

The doxycycline/tyloisn meds didn't come in yet, but the breeder I got the chicks from was kind enough to give us some medicine and promised that if we end up losing any chicks she will replace them.

I built the chicks a new brooder with hemp instead of pine shavings and draft-blocking sides. I also added a second heat lamp.
The Echinacea extract, VetRX, and the medicine the breeder gave me seem to be working. My babies are a lot better but still not 100%. None passed away which is wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom