Chicks losing feathers on chest

BoPeep75

Chirping
Jul 1, 2018
Is this normal? I noticed my two week old chicks feathering out in various places, some quicker than others. Several have fully feathered wings and tails and are hodge podgy looking in other spots. I have noticed two almost with a completely bald stripe straight from the chest down to the vent. If it wasn’t so dark I would’ve taken a picture. Is this normal when adult feathers are coming in?

Chicks go through multiple molts as they grow. They sometimes outgrow feathers. It's all normal. Generally by 6-8 weeks chicks should be mostly feathered and the bald spots covered though they still will go through a few more molts as they grow. They start getting their adult feathers between 3-5 months generally.

Oh good I was reading about all kinds of sicknesses and was hoping that wasn't the case. Although the skin beneath is completely healthy looking, I read about flystrike and was totally grossed out. Thank you for the info on the molts. I couldn't find any definitive info on when the adult feathers came in. I thought maybe this batch was the adult feathers although it doesn't exactly match with their adult patterns.

Back
Top Bottom