Normal feather loss?

Beccichka

Chirping
Feb 22, 2023
Our chicks are 7.5 weeks now. I noticed a few "adult" feathers here and there. Today I noticed in a couple corners of the coop, a good amount of down feathers. Is this normal? Do they lose their down once they are fully feathered? What is normal loss and what should be investigated?

As they grow chicks have "juvenile molts". That's probably what you are seeing. They outgrow their feathers (or down) and need to replace them. Think how silly a full grown hen would look if she was still wearing her baby feathers or down. Expect to see at least another molt before they reach full size.

As they grow chicks have "juvenile molts". That's probably what you are seeing. They outgrow their feathers (or down) and need to replace them. Think how silly a full grown hen would look if she was still wearing her baby feathers or down. Expect to see at least another molt before they reach full size.
I was seeing the same thing with my 8 week old chicks and was hoping it wasn’t mites. I have their bedding and coop protected from that with first Saturday lime. So I they’re going through their juvenile molt. They are starting to cackle like adults too. Lol

Back
Top Bottom