Chicks hatched by broody hens keep dying

Tilhana

Songster
Apr 8, 2020
New England
Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out why the chicks that hatch under my broody hens have such a high mortality rate, especially compared to those I've hatched in an incubator.

When I've hatched eggs in an incubator, I've had a pretty good success rate. Last year I had 19 chicks hatch from a batch of 24 in an incubator. All of them thrived until adolescence, when we started having some predator issues. This year, I incubated 30 eggs and 20 hatched (I think some of the eggs were a little too old), and again, all of them (now 8 weeks old) are thriving.

In contrast, the chicks that have hatched under broody hens have had really high mortality. Last year I had 6 chicks hatch under a broody hen. One I found dead under the hen shortly after hatching - no injuries, just dead. A second one died a few days later. It just sort of stopped following the mama around until it got cold and huddled in place. I found it while it was still alive, and tried to warm it up, but it just gradually expired within a few hours. Again, no injuries; it seemed like it got sick or there was something internally wrong with it. This year, the same hen went broody again and this time hatched 2 chicks before abandonning the rest of the eggs. Those two are doing fine so far.

But a second broody hen has had incredibly high mortality rates despite no apparent failures on her part. I should note that hers has been a pretty staggered hatch, due to other hens repeatedly laying eggs in her nest box while she was out of it to eat. But despite this she's been pretty dedicated about sitting on the eggs long after the first chick hatched. So, before any successful hatches, I found no less than 3 eggs (with mostly developed chicks inside) crushed or possibly part way through hatching, and the chicks dead. I suspect they may have been crushed due to too many eggs being in the nest, but it's hard to be sure. Then 2 chicks hatched successfully, and a couple days later, 2 more. Then the same day the 2 newest ones hatched, I found both of them outside the nesting box, one injured and close to death, apparently attacked by an older chicken. The second was uninjured but dead right outside the nest box. I thought the lip of the box was small enough that they could get in and out but maybe it got stuck outside and the mama hen just didn't bother to help it? Then when I moved the hen, I found one of the older ones dead in the nest, also with no apparent injuries. I'm guessing there was an altercation with an older hen, maybe a scuffle and some of the chicks got trampled or something? But I have no way of knowing - the one with the injuries was still alive when I found it, so it can't have been there very long, which means the other two must have either died very suddenly or much earlier in the day, which would mean they might have already been dead when the other chick got attacked...

I then moved the hen and her remaining chick to a more secure location where they'd be safe from the older chickens. I also flipped the nest box (which is a milk crate with a U-shaped hole cut in it) over so that the eggs were on the ground and chicks could run in and out without having to crawl over a lip that might be too high for them. Since then, 3 more eggs have hatched, (about one every couple days), and the first 2 of them died within a day or less. (The third is fine so far, so this hen now has 2 healthy live chicks with her). These first 2 chicks hatched out completely, were alive and chirping, and then the next day they were just dead, with no apparent injuries. I've been watching the mama hen and she's definitely still sitting on the nest most of the time, despite having other chicks to look after. She's not abandonning them or letting them freeze.

What is going on? This death rate is roughly 2/3 of the total chicks that successfully hatch under a broody hen dying mysteriously with no sign of injury. That's not counting the 3 eggs that got crushed or died mid-hatch, or the one that was attacked. Could this be an indicator of some latent disease in the flock that's being transmitted to newborn chicks and killing a lot of them? Or are domesticated hens just not very good moms? Do they routinely trample on new chicks and crush them? Any ideas on what else could be causing these "nest deaths"? I'm so discouraged from burying so many dead chicks, I'm tempted to give up on letting broody hens hatch eggs ever again.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out why the chicks that hatch under my broody hens have such a high mortality rate, especially compared to those I've hatched in an incubator.

When I've hatched eggs in an incubator, I've had a pretty good success rate. Last year I had 19 chicks hatch from a batch of 24 in an incubator. All of them thrived until adolescence, when we started having some predator issues. This year, I incubated 30 eggs and 20 hatched (I think some of the eggs were a little too old), and again, all of them (now 8 weeks old) are thriving.

In contrast, the chicks that have hatched under broody hens have had really high mortality. Last year I had 6 chicks hatch under a broody hen. One I found dead under the hen shortly after hatching - no injuries, just dead. A second one died a few days later. It just sort of stopped following the mama around until it got cold and huddled in place. I found it while it was still alive, and tried to warm it up, but it just gradually expired within a few hours. Again, no injuries; it seemed like it got sick or there was something internally wrong with it. This year, the same hen went broody again and this time hatched 2 chicks before abandonning the rest of the eggs. Those two are doing fine so far.

But a second broody hen has had incredibly high mortality rates despite no apparent failures on her part. I should note that hers has been a pretty staggered hatch, due to other hens repeatedly laying eggs in her nest box while she was out of it to eat. But despite this she's been pretty dedicated about sitting on the eggs long after the first chick hatched. So, before any successful hatches, I found no less than 3 eggs (with mostly developed chicks inside) crushed or possibly part way through hatching, and the chicks dead. I suspect they may have been crushed due to too many eggs being in the nest, but it's hard to be sure. Then 2 chicks hatched successfully, and a couple days later, 2 more. Then the same day the 2 newest ones hatched, I found both of them outside the nesting box, one injured and close to death, apparently attacked by an older chicken. The second was uninjured but dead right outside the nest box. I thought the lip of the box was small enough that they could get in and out but maybe it got stuck outside and the mama hen just didn't bother to help it? Then when I moved the hen, I found one of the older ones dead in the nest, also with no apparent injuries. I'm guessing there was an altercation with an older hen, maybe a scuffle and some of the chicks got trampled or something? But I have no way of knowing - the one with the injuries was still alive when I found it, so it can't have been there very long, which means the other two must have either died very suddenly or much earlier in the day, which would mean they might have already been dead when the other chick got attacked...

I then moved the hen and her remaining chick to a more secure location where they'd be safe from the older chickens. I also flipped the nest box (which is a milk crate with a U-shaped hole cut in it) over so that the eggs were on the ground and chicks could run in and out without having to crawl over a lip that might be too high for them. Since then, 3 more eggs have hatched, (about one every couple days), and the first 2 of them died within a day or less. (The third is fine so far, so this hen now has 2 healthy live chicks with her). These first 2 chicks hatched out completely, were alive and chirping, and then the next day they were just dead, with no apparent injuries. I've been watching the mama hen and she's definitely still sitting on the nest most of the time, despite having other chicks to look after. She's not abandonning them or letting them freeze.

What is going on? This death rate is roughly 2/3 of the total chicks that successfully hatch under a broody hen dying mysteriously with no sign of injury. That's not counting the 3 eggs that got crushed or died mid-hatch, or the one that was attacked. Could this be an indicator of some latent disease in the flock that's being transmitted to newborn chicks and killing a lot of them? Or are domesticated hens just not very good moms? Do they routinely trample on new chicks and crush them? Any ideas on what else could be causing these "nest deaths"? I'm so discouraged from burying so many dead chicks, I'm tempted to give up on letting broody hens hatch eggs ever again.
Reminds me of human mothers.... some are great mothers who look after their kids, make sure they don't miss meals, protect them from dangers of life, nurture them so they can thrive.
And then there's the "others" the mothers that think their children should look after their own needs and not bother them. These kids go to school dirty and hungery, unkept and uncared for these children do not thrive.
Some females are just not good mothers, whatever it is... a human, a chicken, a cow, a cat... I've seen it across the board.
BTW You sound like a wonderful surrogate chicken mother or father. 😊 But I'd not let your hens have chicks anymore if it was me. Once my hens show they can't mother, they get no more...

Last edited:
Reminds me of human mothers.... some are great mothers who look after their kids, make sure they don't miss meals, protect them from dangers of life, nurture them so they can thrive.
And then there's the "others" the mothers that think their children should look after their own needs and not bother them. These kids go to school dirty and hungery, unkept and uncared for these children do not thrive.
Some females are just not good mothers, whatever it is... a human, a chicken, a cow, a cat... I've seen it across the board.
BTW You sound like a wonderful surrogate chicken mother or father. 😊 But I'd not let your hens have chicks anymore if it was me. Once my hens show they can't mother, they get no more...
That did occur to me last year, that maybe that hen just wasn't a very good mother. But these are the only two hens of mine who have ever gone broody, and they've both had pretty abysmal mortality rates, so I'm suspicious that either there's something else going on (like a disease maybe?), or maybe most domesticated chickens have had some of the maternal instincts bred out of them.

Also, while I could attribute the chicks that died of injury or falling out of the nest to the hens being bad mothers, that doesn't explain the ones that died while the hens were sitting on them. I feel like it's a black box under there...supposedly they're safe and warm and not being crushed, yet when the hen gets up I find these little wet newly hatched chickens just lying there dead. What could a hen have possibly done wrong to cause that?

I was told by the lady who gave me eggs to dip the chicks’ beak in water to teach them to drink. She said that some chicken mommas will lead their babies to food, but don’t teach them how to drink... not sure how true this is, but it’s what I did.

I was told by the lady who gave me eggs to dip the chicks’ beak in water to teach them to drink. She said that some chicken mommas will lead their babies to food, but don’t teach them how to drink... not sure how true this is, but it’s what I did.
They do teach them to drink...even if they don't deliberately, the chicks will copy what the mamas do. The key is that they learn by example. Even if you're raising chicks without a hen, even just showing a few of the chicks where the water is will probably suffice, because the others will see their siblings drinking and copy them. I used the same technique when I switched my adult chickens to a nipple waterer. They had no idea what it was, but once I got a couple of them to realize there was water on the nipples and they started drinking, the rest of them caught on pretty quickly.

I would separate the broody hen and her eggs in the very beginning from all other chickens for success. If you have too many eggs under a broody hen, it could result in failure (too many where they aren’t being warm enough or when one does hatch the over zealous eggs squash a chick). A tiny bantam might only hold 4 eggs under her. A big hen might do 12-15 give or take. As others mentioned, some broody hens are just better than others. Maybe look on Facebook thread to find a tried and true broody if you are new to this. Remember to separate the broody and her eggs from all other chickens. Other hens will hop on with the broody and keep laying extra eggs. Some might peck at the potential chicks when they hatch. Look at the size of your broody and go for a small number of eggs.

Hi Tilhana, did you manage to get any concrete answers?... I did read once that mites can cause death within a day of hatching.

Did you have any other diseases in the flock, something the birds may have recovered from but which may still be lingering in the area, eg, a viral disease such as pox.

You've got quite a bit going on there with that first time broody hen. Perhaps the older chicks are dying because the mama hen isn't getting up to take them away to food and water. Sometimes newly hatched chicks just die, and sometimes mama hens (especially new ones) are clumsy with the chicks. Staggered hatches can be very complicated.

I learned a hard lesson when I didn't properly contain a hen and her day old chicks overnight and two of them wandered off for some unknown reason and died from exposure.

I keep broodies in seperate hutches, although still with the main flock. I then move them in the hutch they're settled in to an isolated area about 5 days before the chicks are due to hatch (I do this at night). I remove all unhatched eggs 3 days after the first chick hatches, if the hen is still sitting (she isn't usually still sitting, but I had one that did). You could put these unhatched eggs into an incubator but I do not do this as I am breeding only chickens that hatch under broodies.

Back
Top Bottom