Anyone having issues with hen hatches this year?

Gamefowlmomma

Hatching
Apr 23, 2024
We seem to be having trouble this year with our hens… 1/2 of them are first timers so I know that can affect hatch rates but we’ve never had this much trouble... So far we’ve had 1 first time hen hatch 9/10 chicks all perfect , another 1st time hen hatched 2/14 chicks, one 1st time hen hatched 5/14 with only 3 that were healthy… have 1 experienced hen that was due today with no signs yet but I have hope bc she’s a good hen that has had high success rates, 1 reliable hen due in a week but it took her a long time to settle in full time on her nest so the eggs were left in some cold nights—50/50 on how her hatch will go, and finally we have 4 that have not gone broody even with nests full of eggs…. We live in East Tennessee and have had some pretty severe weather changes— that’s the only thing I can pinpoint that may be causing so many issues… normally we have very high hatch rates, healthy chicks and dedicated hens… something has thrown them off this year! Any ideas?! They just seem to be having trouble staying on their nests this year…. We’ve been staying on top of predator dangers and pests… all are healthy and in their own individual coops and nests…

I was just going to post something about this, but I have been having trouble for the last 2 years. I have my hens sit on no more than 6 eggs at a time. At most, I have had 4 hatch successfully...but then they don't survive. Some the hen will kick out immediately, some will peep around for a day or two then die.
I always quarantine my broodies to the coop they choose to nest in. Each of my coops have their own run, food and water source. Normally the chickens free range the farm, but when they're broody we keep the other hens out, so they won't bother the mammas, or lay more eggs in the nest.
We supplement our chickens diets with organic feed (up until 2 weeks ago that feed was high in corn and soy). 2 weeks ago we switched to an organic corn free and soy free feed.
On Friday, my broody hen hatched 4 of her 6 eggs, today the last chick died. And 2 eggs are unaccounted for, no signs of predators. I think she ate them.
I would love to hear any ideas on what could be causing the low survival rate for my hen hatched chicks, and how I can make it better.
I currently have two other hens that should be hatching clutches sometime this week. I'm hoping they fare better.

I was just going to post something about this, but I have been having trouble for the last 2 years. I have my hens sit on no more than 6 eggs at a time. At most, I have had 4 hatch successfully...but then they don't survive. Some the hen will kick out immediately, some will peep around for a day or two then die.
I always quarantine my broodies to the coop they choose to nest in. Each of my coops have their own run, food and water source. Normally the chickens free range the farm, but when they're broody we keep the other hens out, so they won't bother the mammas, or lay more eggs in the nest.
We supplement our chickens diets with organic feed (up until 2 weeks ago that feed was high in corn and soy). 2 weeks ago we switched to an organic corn free and soy free feed.
On Friday, my broody hen hatched 4 of her 6 eggs, today the last chick died. And 2 eggs are unaccounted for, no signs of predators. I think she ate them.
I would love to hear any ideas on what could be causing the low survival rate for my hen hatched chicks, and how I can make it better.
I currently have two other hens that should be hatching clutches sometime this week. I'm hoping they fare better.
Are you offering a good chick starter very close to the hen? Is she off the nest? Or continues to sit? More information would be helpful. It also might be more helpful to start your own thread.

I have great hatch rates, and all usually survive. I move my hens to a small enclosed area within the coop. Feed and water right in front. Chicks come out to eat and drink.

Since no other hens have access to your chicks than there's no fear of other hens killing them. Occasionally a hen will kill her own chicks. Some just want to set and do not understand what a chick is. It's important to watch a hen carefully during that transitional time to make sure she turns to mothering instead of continuing to set.

A hen may occasionally eat bad eggs. It's important to feed a high quality, higher protein feed during setting. Hens will only eat once a day, so they need as much calories as possible.

Are you offering a good chick starter very close to the hen? Is she off the nest? Or continues to sit? More information would be helpful. It also might be more helpful to start your own thread.

I have great hatch rates, and all usually survive. I move my hens to a small enclosed area within the coop. Feed and water right in front. Chicks come out to eat and drink.

Since no other hens have access to your chicks than there's no fear of other hens killing them. Occasionally a hen will kill her own chicks. Some just want to set and do not understand what a chick is. It's important to watch a hen carefully during that transitional time to make sure she turns to mothering instead of continuing to set.

A hen may occasionally eat bad eggs. It's important to feed a high quality, higher protein feed during setting. Hens will only eat once a day, so they need as much calories as possible.
Yes, food and water inside the coop right by the nest as well as in the run, none of which can be accessed by any other chicken. I do make sure to diligently check the mammas 2-3 times a day, just to make sure all is well. She gave no indications that there was anything untoward. And she was always on the nest when I checked. I know she got up sometimes, cause I would find her giant poops, but she never was off the nest for very long. Which is why I think the 4 of 6 hatched. I'm just not sure why they didn't survive. If it was weak chicks or if she just was not careful and squished them. I'm just not sure.
I don't know if this is her first brood or not, I have orpingtons and they all look too close for me to tell them apart.

Yes, food and water inside the coop right by the nest as well as in the run, none of which can be accessed by any other chicken. I do make sure to diligently check the mammas 2-3 times a day, just to make sure all is well. She gave no indications that there was anything untoward. And she was always on the nest when I checked. I know she got up sometimes, cause I would find her giant poops, but she never was off the nest for very long. Which is why I think the 4 of 6 hatched. I'm just not sure why they didn't survive. If it was weak chicks or if she just was not careful and squished them. I'm just not sure.
I don't know if this is her first brood or not, I have orpingtons and they all look too close for me to tell them apart.
I did have one hen hatch this year that killed every single chick. I believe she was standing on them. I had forgotten about her. I found each one smashed into the bedding. Took about 3 days. It was a bit traumatizing for me. So maybe yours was similar. I would not use that hen for hatching again.

I did have one hen hatch this year that killed every single chick. I believe she was standing on them. I had forgotten about her. I found each one smashed into the bedding. Took about 3 days. It was a bit traumatizing for me. So maybe yours was similar. I would not use that hen for hatching again.
I have been thinking about marking her in some way, so we can not let her brood. Some leg bracelet or something maybe

Back
Top Bottom