Chickens ate a dead chicken....are the eggs safe?

rsallison

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Hi All~
One of my RIRs died at some point in the day yesterday (I was away from the house all day, and discovered it when I went to close the coop for the night) It was in the run, basically half gone - no head, one leg, insides pretty much cleaned out. We've got lots of crows, and I assume they carried off a bunch of it - but I think the other ladies helped themselves, too.....bleh.
All this to say, are their eggs safe to eat if they've been eating carrion? It wasn't dead for days or anything, and we didn't notice any signs of sickness - they are all going through a crazy molt this year. What do you think?
Thanks in advance!
Sarah

If crows could get into the run, could a hawk have also? The eggs will be fine If the hen wasn't sick before she died. A freshly dead body is not crawling with bad things that one that has been laying around has.

I wouldn't worry about it. Chickens are omnivores. And chances are some thing else ate it, but even if the chickens got to part of it, it's not a big deal. Chickens will eat any meat they can find, whether it be a cricket, a frog, a mouse or another chicken.

Had that happen on more than one occasion over the years growing up at my parents' house. Never thought twice about it, and never noticed any ill effects regarding eating the eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom