Chicken with worms

Apr 3, 2022
So a few days ago I noticed one of my chickens seemed a bit off but I chalked it up to it being an unusually hot day. But tonight when I went to close up the coop she was laying on the ground not moving so I checked her out and she couldn’t stand, had some poop stuck to her butt, and felt a bit thin. I figured she was egg bound and I stuck her in a bucket of warm water and epsom salts. When I went back to check on her about 15 minutes later there were what seemed like hundreds to thousands of little brown worms, about a centimeter or less in length, crawling up the side of the bucket and in the water.
After I panicked a little I got some rubber gloves on and rinsed her and stuck her in a cardboard box in my shed for the night. Now I need to know what type of worms these are and what dewormer to get. I have a flock of nine hens including the wormy one and four 8-10 week old chicks that are in a separate enclosure but have had contact with the other chickens.
The pic isn’t the best but it was dark and my phone was acting up. Any help identifying the worms and the correct dewormer would be appreciated.
IMG_1400.jpeg

I would check her for mites. I'm not saying those aren't worms, but what they're doing seems more like mites.

For mites, most use Permethrin powder all over on the chicken and all over in the coop. Repeat in 10 days.

For worms, see this post by one of our experts: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worms-in-poop.1621528/post-27698330

Whatever you do for her, I'd do it for all of them.

This will take care of the problem.
Martin's Horse & Stable Permethrin Spray

You will need to spray ALL birds every 5 or so days for a few weeks.
AND spray the coop.
It’s going to take almost a week to get it since it isn’t in stock at my local store. But I have equine fly spray and it contains permethrin is this okay?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom