EE with no muffs - what color egg?

Seeley

In the Brooder
May 19, 2024
I know this is probably a dumb question but we picked up 3 "Ameraucanas" from IFA to add to our flock. 2 of them have super puffy cheeks and 1 does not. Does this mean the clean faced one is less likely to lay blue or green eggs? Her legs have a greenish hue, so is that a good sign? Hoping for blue or green eggs. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20240518_112401.jpg
    20240518_112401.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I had a friend that a beardless EE hen, and she laid sky blue eggs.

But, EE's are essentially mutts, so if they have a beard or not, their egg color is always up in the air.
I have an EE that lays brown.

Mine last year had no muffs and had what looked like a straight comb, but ended up kind of a hybrid comb. She lays the prettiest sage green eggs. I was worried, but shouldn’t have been. If yours has a pea comb, you can be even less worried.

Sometimes even the ones who have cheeks and muffs and pea combs lay brown eggs though, so no guarantees.

Good to know, thank you! She was different coloring than the rest of the other chicks which is why I picked her and then realized she didn't have muffs. Well now I have 5 EEs so hopefully more of a chance of blue or green eggs!

Back
Top Bottom