Chicken was attacked, puncture wounds

Manedwolfy

Chirping
Feb 6, 2019
WNC
So yesterday I went out to the coop to find what looked like a chicken massacre. Sadly, something had taken two of my chickens. This morning, another one was attacked. It wasn't that bad, just missing a good amount of feathers on her back. She also had a few puncture wounds though. I washed it with warm water, pulled some leaf bits and dirt out of them, and applied Neosporin.
What should I do next? I haven't dealt with any injuries in a long time, so I'm not 100% sure what to do.
She is acting fine, just a little out of it, but I'm assuming that's because of her injuries.

Flush the wounds thoroughly with saline solution.
If feathers can get into the wounds, trim them away a bit. After thoroughly flushed, apply some betadine.
If it is very cold there, keep her warm and hydrated.
She may not feel like eating but you can give her some wetted or fermented feed which will help hydrate her if she does eat. You can do the saline flush every day.
Look the bird over well so you don't miss any wounds.

If the wounds are deep and you can get an eye type (Ophthalmic) Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment, which melts at body temperature, it gets deep into the wound.

Any idea what could have gotten in two nights in a row?

Last edited:
The only predator we've had before were weasels. We're wondering if that could've been them, but it's strange none of our eggs have been taken. We'll wash with a saline solution, but we don't have any Chlorhexidine.

If it was weasels before, it likely is again. I've never had weasels take eggs, they just like to kill everything in the building - here at least.
Close off every opening over 1/2" or they will return.

Don't forget the betadine. Any drug store carries it.

So yesterday I went out to the coop to find what looked like a chicken massacre. Sadly, something had taken two of my chickens. This morning, another one was attacked. It wasn't that bad, just missing a good amount of feathers on her back. She also had a few puncture wounds though. I washed it with warm water, pulled some leaf bits and dirt out of them, and applied Neosporin.
What should I do next? I haven't dealt with any injuries in a long time, so I'm not 100% sure what to do.
She is acting fine, just a little out of it, but I'm assuming that's because of her injuries.[/QUOTE. What I like to use for punctures: I clean with betadine, and add neosporin cream. MAking sure it is the cream and not the other. If the punctures are deep I use blueing as well this works great for deep punctures. I had a turkey attacked by bobcat and had chunks missing. I used the betadine, neosporin cream, blueing, covered with breathable gauze pads and bird healed up perfectly. Blueing can be Purchased at any feed store. I’ve use this method many times and it has worked every time. Hope This Helps.

Good info.
But I think you mean blu-kote and not bluing.
I think there is a fabric type of bluing but what I'm familiar with is bluing for steel, like that used on firearms to prevent rust.

I didn't put on Neosporin cream, it was the other type. Is this bad or will it just not help?

I also did the wash, the wound is a lot worse than I thought, a decent part of it is just scabbing nicely on its own (only like 2 puncture wounds that aren't that bad).

Should I do another saline wash tomorrow? I don't have any betadine and I'm not sure if we'll have a chance to go to the store.

In that case I would definitely flush with saline daily.
Do you have syringes or some other method of flushing?
Do you have any other antiseptics like campho-phenique or what type of triple antibiotic are you using.
If it is healing it is probably OK. I don't recommend hydrogen peroxide after the first day but that is effective as an antiseptic. The problem is that it will prevent regrowth of tissue cells unlike betadine.
It would help if we could see the wounds.

If two of your chickens were missing as in totally gone it’s obviously not a weasel. So
Something big is getting in like a fox or bobcat.

Back
Top Bottom