chicken sounds- what do they mean?

Do you know that roosters have different predator vocalizations based on whether the predator is aerial or on the ground?

Wow, I had no idea. I tried ot read the article in Backyard Poulty but then saw it wasnt available on line. Anyone have a copy they can scan and send me?

Quote:
Do you know that roosters have different predator vocalizations based on whether the predator is aerial or on the ground?

Wow, I had no idea. I tried ot read the article in Backyard Poulty but then saw it wasnt available on line. Anyone have a copy they can scan and send me?

I believe I do, but may have given that issue to a friend. I'll check later today, 'k?

mine make many sounds for instance when they want food they make an angry cluck sound. when there is a predator near by my rooster always makes a sound like a squirrely purish kind of sound its really neat.

My RIR's are very vocal.
When they say, "Ba Bawk!" it means "I love you mommy"
When they say "Ba ba ba BAWK!" it means I really love you mommy!"

lau.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help it..........

I keep hearing a LOT of "brawwwwwk bokbokbok" going on, especially in the morning or when someone wants out.
smile.png
Dunno what it means though!

One of my girls growled when a robin flew past!
smile.png

I just read an article about scientists discovering syntax in birds. I've known chickens have syntax for over a year now. I first noticed it when I brought home the first batch of chicks the previous June. They were two days out of the egg and peeping their little heads off, like baby chicks do.

I had just gotten one out of the brooder and was holding it in my lap when my cat Thor walked into the room. The baby immediately chirped out the exact five-note phrase that the older chickens do whenever the cat approaches the pen. To verify what I was hearing, I later got another chick out and called the cat in. That chick repeated the exact phrase, with the accent on the third note, exactly as the other one had, and identical to the phrase the adults cluck out whenever a friendly animal approaches.

This phrase is identical to the phrase they vocalize when I approach the pen, except the five notes are all the same without any accent. So, I learned a year before the scientists that chickens have syntax, they speak it from birth, and we can understand what they're saying if we just listen and pay attention.

I've also noticed the chickens have vocalizations just for me, different from the words they "speak' to each other. The most obvious is the insistent chatter when I walk into the pen, like excited little children, "What did you bring us? Hope you brought food!" And little Flo has her special, very sweet, soft "caww, cawww, cawww!" When she sees me, always looking me directly in the eye when she vocalizes it. With her peepers on (to keep her from cannibalizing the feathers from her mates), she has trouble seeing straight ahead, so it's uncomfortable for her to navigate the plastic door flaps over the pop hole to the coop. If I happen to be in the pen when she needs to go inside, she stands in front of the pop hole, looking up at me and in my eyes, saying "caww, cawww, cawww!" I reach down and lift the flap, and in she pops! She communicates her needs to me!

Amazing huh? I'm sure Dr. Doolittle figured this out years ago.

my grandmas always make a very long bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwk almost all the time when we go to see them or feed them, they dont do alot of the small bok bok or anything really. what does this mean? are they happy or is this an annoyed noise? i know for sure when they get bothered or something they are extra loud but its the same noise.

Love the sounds and voices! I have 44, but I know some of them by their voices. I think I have observed many more than 3 types of sounds. I have had chickens for almost 3 years. They get more endearing every day. They are a constant source of entertainment and education. I knew I wanted chickens when I got them, but I had no clue what a treat I was in for!

In my flock the purring noise means contentment when it's quiet, and HAWK when it's loud and shrill. I think the human equilvalent would be 'Be still!'

The buk buk ba GAWK is either 'ground predator' or 'This THING just popped out of my behind!' (A.K.A. I just layed an egg.)

The sounds I love best are the ones individuals make. My lovely rooster Apollo's huk huk huk koo. Or my little hen Beauty's Waaaaaakaaa. And I always know when Lulu has layed an egg, holy cow she's loud!

I have one hen that purrs as she's on her roost going to sleep. It's so rhythmic that I almost thought she was snoring! The other day she got on the roost about 10:00am for her midmorning nap and began purring. Another hen on the floor of the coop began answering her. I wondered if the hen on the roost was calling to her roost-mate to get up there and take a nap with her since they're often huddled together on the roost when I peak in after dark.

Back
Top Bottom