Chicken ate a 100 mg dose of ketoconazale

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
My 4.5 lb hen just swallowed 100mg of ketoconazole. This medicine was NOT meant for her at all..it's for a puppy.

Please advise?!

It looks like she got over 3x the recommended dose for chickens.

If she is a healthy bird her chances of making it through are better than if she was already ill.

It can cause digestive problems and liver failure.

Shooting in the dark here but do you have any activated charcoal?

It looks like she got over 3x the recommended dose for chickens.

If she is a healthy bird her chances of making it through are better than if she was already ill.

It can cause digestive problems and liver failure.

Shooting in the dark here but do you have any activated charcoal?
:( I do not.

:( I do not.

Try not to worry.
I do not know the dose that would prove fatal and don't know if the charcoal would even help.

The good news is it's sometimes used in poultry. That means it's not guaranteed to kill her.

Watch for runny droppings and monitor her is about all I can suggest.

Last edited:
Try not to worry.
I do not know the dose that would prove fatal and don't know if the charcoal would even help.

The good news is is is sometimes used in poultry. That means it's not guaranteed to kill her.

Watch for runny droppings and monitor her is about all I can suggest.
I am definitely worried. :( I fed her a good meal and probiotics. Not sure that will do any good but hoped maybe it would. How long would I wait until I would know she's ok?

Further research is saying activated charcoal would have had to be given within the first hour after she snagged it.

At this point it's a wait and see unfortunately.

I think the fatal dose would have to be a lot higher than 3.3x the usual dose.

I wouldn't give any other things as it has a long list of interactions. Just her feed and plenty of clean water.

Further research is saying activated charcoal would have had to be given within the first hour after she snagged it.

At this point it's a wait and see unfortunately.

I think the fatal dose would have to be a lot higher than 3.3x the usual dose.

I wouldn't give any other things as it has a long list of interactions. Just her feed and plenty of clean water.
She's heading into her coop for the night. I put a bowl of water in there. I really want her to be ok.

Back
Top Bottom