Chick with cross beak *pics*

sorry I don;t I could probably post a pic tom of her as I just cut her beak. I won't get home till late so I could not do it tonight. Really all I do when I trim hers is to trim it so that the beak is as close to normal as I can get it. You also have to be careful because if you cut it to short they can bleed quit severly.

She is worse now than in the picture, she is 7 days old now and the top and bottom don't overlap at all. I keep a close eye on her and she eats like a champ. I tried to call for Penetran yesterday but was interrupted by an impatient toddler, so hopefully tomorrow. I'm giving her Polyvisol vitamins once daily (3-4 tiny drops), which are very easy to give since I can just drop the drop on her lower beak. I will give vitamins once daily for a week, then taper as per dlunicorn's usual recommendation. Will try to post an update in a few days.
Thanks for the advice everybody.

I have the same question as courtnicole2010. Wondering what is the proper dosage of Bioplasma to feed a 4 week old cross-beak golden polish chick. Also is Penetran mail order only or does someone know of a drug store chain that might carry it. Thanks in advance for any info.

courtnicole2010: I put one bioplasma cal-phos about this size= o per cup.

I have separated my crossed beak chick and put it in with one that had a cold but is better so she could get some food and rest!

Her beak is at 90 degree angle
I am also giving her vitamins (polyvisal) and putting penteran on twice a day I have also made her mash and hand fed her

redoak: click here http://www.penetran.com/ and type in your zip code in the "find a store near you" thing. I found it at several places. It costs about $15 or less.
Push her beak back into place you can even use rubber band around for a few minutes (make sure she is by herself) or at least hold in place for as long as you can. I put the penetran on twice a day. I have noticed a little improvement over the past day! ( 87 degrees maybe?)
yippiechickie.gif

Good Luck Raindrop! I really would suggest both the cell salts (5$) at the local health food store and the penetran

I have an week old EE pullet with crossed beak...I trimmed the top back and a little on the bottom.....I did have silver nitrate sticks on hand to stop the bleeding. She is also getting wet starter (mash) 3xs per day and is growing and eating like her sisters and brother.
I also have a red laced cornish 3 day old chick that has just started so I already trimmed its beak...just a little on top and she is doing fine so far. I am hoping that with minor adjustments that she will not have eating problems as it gets worse.
-nj

Back
Top Bottom