Chick stumbles backwards after drinking? Video attached

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
Good morning!

I took a newly hatched chick from our son’s daycare that was separated from the rest of their hatched chicks. My son named “him” T-Rex (black one). He wasn’t standing and was found being walked on, so he wasn’t doing great when we took him in last Thursday (18th). I was told they had hatched on Tuesday!

Thursday evening/Friday morning I was syringe feeding T-Rex sugar water/egg yolk. He slowly became stronger. However I’ve noticed when he takes a drink he stumbles backwards a few steps. What could be the cause of this, any concerns I should have? He seems to be a little uneasy on his feet at times.

Because T-Rex was eating/drinking on his own with normal poops I felt comfortable getting him a brooder mate. But not wanting him to end up back where he was on Thursday, I picked up one “day old” from the local feed store yesterday and they seem to be hitting it off well. I plan to add maybe one or two more chicks within the next week or so once T-Rex finishes this test-run first 😅 Then eventually (if they’re pullets 🤞🏼) will be integrated with my already established flock.

The video is from this morning (4/21), before I clean up their brooder for the day. Feeding medicated chick food, regular water w/ACV and a ChickBoost water as well.

One of my adult hens did this during her molt when she wasn't getting enough food/vitamins - she's the bottom of the pecking order and everyone was molting and pretty grouchy. We put a couple B-complex in her, made sure she was getting some extra access to food, and the symptom hung around for a while after she finished up her molt, but she's fine now.

There is a possibility that it's also a neurological issue, but the movement is almost identical to what my hen was doing and it was temporary.

My guess is that the rough time after hatch has the chick a little vitamin deficient. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable trying to dose out vitamin for a chick of that size (others may have a recommendation) - but I think the chick will eventually catch up with the nutrition it needs and the symptom will go away.

All to say, I think you're doing everything right - little one is just recovering from a rough first couple days. If you add more chicks, I'd probably prepare some extra egg and feed (maybe a food/water mash) and give this little one some time eating from your hand or separately so that you're sure it's eating enough/a little extra to catch up. Good luck!

This is the Chick Boost, maybe look at adding Vitamin B?

Attachments

• IMG_7505.jpeg
    IMG_7505.jpeg
    650.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7506.jpeg
    IMG_7506.jpeg
    632.3 KB · Views: 5
One of my adult hens did this during her molt when she wasn't getting enough food/vitamins - she's the bottom of the pecking order and everyone was molting and pretty grouchy. We put a couple B-complex in her, made sure she was getting some extra access to food, and the symptom hung around for a while after she finished up her molt, but she's fine now.

There is a possibility that it's also a neurological issue, but the movement is almost identical to what my hen was doing and it was temporary.

My guess is that the rough time after hatch has the chick a little vitamin deficient. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable trying to dose out vitamin for a chick of that size (others may have a recommendation) - but I think the chick will eventually catch up with the nutrition it needs and the symptom will go away.

All to say, I think you're doing everything right - little one is just recovering from a rough first couple days. If you add more chicks, I'd probably prepare some extra egg and feed (maybe a food/water mash) and give this little one some time eating from your hand or separately so that you're sure it's eating enough/a little extra to catch up. Good luck!
Gives me some hope, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom