Can't read rabbit pedigree. . .please help?

Alright I figured out 3 generations of my rabbit but do I need to use there brothers and sisters or can I just use the [COLOR=333333]dam and sire, G dam and G sire, and GG dam and GG sire?[/COLOR]

Just the parentage line for the individual rabbit. You'll only need sibling if showing, breeding those. Each bun should have their own.

If possible, ask to see the pedigree before you buy. It can be watermarked as but in if sent or in person they should be able to show you. One of my buns the breeder have me the bun's book which included it's awards, copy of any awards of the parents, etc. Not all will do that, but when you can find those it's great!

Remember it's the conformation that's important too for showing & breeding for show. For Holland's even as babies you should see the flat face, square shape, short ears, etc that make it a Holland. It's a very different look than the other lops. Not just size & ear length. They are very sweet buns. My absolute favorite.

Just the parentage line for the individual rabbit. You'll only need sibling if showing, breeding those. Each bun should have their own.

If possible, ask to see the pedigree before you buy. It can be watermarked as but in if sent or in person they should be able to show you. One of my buns the breeder have me the bun's book which included it's awards, copy of any awards of the parents, etc. Not all will do that, but when you can find those it's great!

Remember it's the conformation that's important too for showing & breeding for show. For Holland's even as babies you should see the flat face, square shape, short ears, etc that make it a Holland. It's a very different look than the other lops. Not just size & ear length. They are very sweet buns. My absolute favorite.
x2 to asking for the pedigree when buying the rabbit. I bought mine at a show, and had the pedigrees mailed. It took over a month to finally get them, and i had to call the owner twice. But the pedigrees were complete.

I think I'm going to sell Him, he is to heavy to be showed and I thought I figured out his pedigree but I was wrong
hit.gif

If anyone is interested PM me. . .

Quote: When I saw his picture in your first post, I thought his ears looked too long. The maximum showable size for the Holland Lop is 4 lbs; it is highly unlikely that this animal is 30% or more overweight. He is what is known as a 'false dwarf,' a member of a dwarf breed that didn't inherit the dwarfing gene, and grew a little bigger as a result. You can't show a false dwarf, and though some people may use false dwarf does in their breeding programs, it's a bit unusual to find someone working with a false dwarf buck.

Yes I realized that awhile ago and I think that is why I was able to get him so easily, that is also another reason he can't be shown.

I'm sorry. His color is nice, but he does look a tad heavy & long in the ears. I've a girl the same way. I think she's mini or mixed except the breeder only does Holland & Flemish Giants! She's still a sweetheart.

I can't remember if you can do the feel the ribs on buns or not for weight. Unfortunately it happens where larger than the average & smaller happens. Hope you find him a home if you don't keep him.

Back
Top Bottom