Can I switch from Layer feed to Flock Raiser Feed?

Pic is what is available to me.
flock raiser2.png
This is exactly what I feed mine. I have a separate feeder filled with oyster shell. I never mix the shell into the feed. The hens will shell eat at will as needed.

Purina's Flock Raiser is good stuff, i used it myself last year before my flock grew and i swapped to a local mill to control costs. As others have said, you can mix your layer with other food 1:1 or 1:2 or 1:3 or whatever, if you aren't able to sell it. No guarantees, but it does mitigate risk considerably by spreading out the calcium over time.

Happy i could help w/ your question.

So, if you look at my Sig (below), you can see my flock. For the typical backyard owner of a mixed age and/or mixed gender flock, the combination of "All Flock" "Flock Raiser" etc with free choice oyster shell provides the easiest and most nutritionally complete feed management practice for their birds.

There are a laundry list of reasons, which I would be happy to address if there is interest that i do so. But it will be a long post, and I'm busy working outside today, so I'd rather address specific questions than try and cover all the likely possibilities. I've not crafted a "cut and paste" answer to this frequently asked question. (yet?)
I read your whole laundry list of reasons on someone else that posted a question about feed and I replied to your that with your great info, I am switching. Thank you.

As far as the bag of layer you already have, once the pullets are older I would just feed them half layer and half all-flock/grower. No reason to hassle with returning it or tossing it. They'd almost be old enough for it when you go on vacation, but personally I don't like making changes when I can't be there to monitor, so I'd start up the half and half mix after getting back.

For my flock I feed half layer, half grower when I have all adults, but when chicks are around and being integrated then the whole flock is on half starter, half grower, until the chicks are old enough to lay and swap over to the adult diet.

and the short form, before I head back out in the heat, is this...
Excess calcium is bad for ALL birds. It is worst for Roosters, who never develop a way to excrete extra calcium - they never lay eggs, their kidneys become increasingly damaged with time. They can also develop gout, intestinal problems, lesions, renal failure, etc. Its also bad for pullets before start of lay - and if your pullets are Dark Brahma, or another breed that goes six or seven months before start of lay (rather than the 4-5 months for commercial breeders like Golden Comets) that a long time for calcium to accumulate. If your hens don't drop eggs almost every day (most don't), again, calcium will begin to accumulate, at risk to long term health.
Many pure (heritage) birds usually take longer to start laying than commercial breeder birds. The average time for many breeds is around 6 months old. Pure (heritage) breeds can take up to around 9 months old before they lay their first egg and they have to be fed. Since I breed and raise my own birds, I also like to give the parent stock a good protein diet. I think it also helps the chicks. Sometimes during really hot weather I cut down on the protein and add some layer to their feeders. Everyone is different and has different ways. Good luck...

and the short form, before I head back out in the heat, is this...
Fellow Floridian, it was hot here today too. Today was feeding day for me. I empty the feed into buckets and load the buckets into a trailer and tow it out to the coops and pour the buckets into the feeders. Today I added their oyster shells and grit in their feed and filled their feeders. I have 40# feeders in all of the coops. One coop has a 50# feeder. It's easier to handle the buckets. I tried free choice years ago and most of the time it usually ended up on the floor or ground so now I just add it to their feed and it filters down into the pan on the bottom of the feeder and they take what they want. Luckily the feed last about a week, but I have a lot of birds. I won't have to add any oyster shells or grit for quite awhile.

I still feed once a day, 10# each evening, to encourage them to return to the runs from the pasture so i can lock up. Different management styles.

Was only 91 degrees today, i was busy with a shovel. You ere hotter i think. No rain today was a positive.

My oyster shell is from a 50# bag, sits in a short plastic bucket, partly set in the dirt. Used to use a 1# butter tub, but they kept flipping it.

I’m gonna jump on here. I am new to chickens and newer to laying hens. I just purchased 4 laying hens from a neighbor needing to think out her flock. We’ve had them for a week and got 12 eggs!!
I don’t think they are eating the oyster shells. I use flock grower as I also have preteens and chicks (separated for now, but going to slowly integrate).
Also, how can I add more protein?? Worms?? Crickets?

I’m gonna jump on here. I am new to chickens and newer to laying hens. I just purchased 4 laying hens from a neighbor needing to think out her flock. We’ve had them for a week and got 12 eggs!!
I don’t think they are eating the oyster shells. I use flock grower as I also have preteens and chicks (separated for now, but going to slowly integrate).
Also, how can I add more protein?? Worms?? Crickets?
Welcome to the world of happy chickens and BYC!
Congratulations on those eggs! It’s so exciting to get that first 1 egg let alone the fist 12!
Yes they are eating the OS. You probably haven’t noticed because they don’t eat it in the same amounts as the feed. It’s a supplement rather than a meal. Just keep it constantly available. Also give them all of the shells from the eggs. Some people like to pop them in the oven to dry them a bit. I’ve even put them in the microwave for a minute. Just make sure you crush them so they are unrecognizable as coming from eggs. This prevents the chickens from recognizing them and becoming egg eaters. That’s a bad habit that is just about impossible to break.
I’m not sure why you want more protein than your feed provides. A good feed should provide the appropriate percentages of all necessary nutrients. Too much of any one nutrient can throw off their systems and possibly affect their health not to mention egg laying. Sometimes chickens may have something going on that requires more protein, like during molting. I’ve seen people give a treat of cat food kibble every couple days. Some offer chopped hard boiled eggs. Just remember not to give more than 10%of their daily intake as treats whatever form you offer. I try to give treats an hour or two before they go to bed so I know they have filled up on the nutritious feed first.

Back
Top Bottom