All Flock Higher Protein Feed vs. Layer Feed

For some time now I've been mixing a bag of flock raiser 20% with 2 bags of Nutrena feather fixer 18% (free ranging also) and have had very good results. Eggs, hens, and rooster look great.

I originally went with an 18% layer feed (Nutrena Naturewise Hearty Hen) for my layers, but I've found too many exceptions for layer feed. Don't use in winter when they stop laying. Don't use if you have any cockerels. What about if some are laying and some aren't? What if you have older hens that only rarely lay?

I finally decided to switch to Nutrena's 20% All Flock + side calcium and haven't looked back. You can feed it all year, to both sexes and even if some pullets are laying in winter while older hens take a break. At 20%, I'm not concerned about them eating greens when they free range and potentially diluting their protein intake. The only exception is needing grower crumble when I bring in new chicks until they are large enough to share the pellets.
---
I've come to the conclusion that layer pellets are really designed to make factory egg production easier. They generally have the absolute minimum protein (16%) and you don't have to switch on/off the layer feed if you put them on it as soon as they start laying, keep them under artificial lighting through the winter and when they slow down/stop, they are dispatched. Backyard flocks have more complicated needs.

The only exception is needing grower crumble when I bring in new chicks until they are large enough to share the pellets.
I get around this by feeding all flock crumble instead of pellets, so everybody can eat it. I have a zero waste feeder (waste is usually pointed out as the one advantage of pellets over crumble) so I really have no reason to use pellets.

Back
Top Bottom