Can I keep 3 chicks in a 10 gal. fish tank?

barn_cat5643

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 13, 2011
I'm new to this so bare with me....
I'm getting three chicks of varying species and colors and I need to know how to keep them content . I was thinking of putting them in a ten gallon tank (for reptiles) at night with a heat lamp and in a large wire rabbit hutch out side during the day time (I live in florida). Do you think that is wise?

The chicks will be fine, they will tell you what they want. If they pant and their wings are not on their sides they are hot, if they are cuddled in a corner they are cold. If they are all spaced out they are fine.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
You could, but I wouldn't. You will need to keep them warm especially at night and the glass would get too hot I'd think. Also, you'd need to put something in the bottom of the tank as the glass alone would be too slick and would likely lead to foot problems. Not only that, but they will QUICKLY outgrow that tank. I have several tanks of that size around as I have bred and raised aquarium fish as a hobby as well and I guarantee that within 2 weeks they will be big enough to hop/fly right out of that tank.

Now, that being said, I would recommend a large sized rubbermaid tote if you're looking for something cheap. We have our 8 chicks in one of the super-big ones and now at 3 weeks they are able to hop out of it, but we put a screen over the top. It is easy to clean and move about as needed and has plenty of space. Once it is no longer needed for a brooder, we plan on cleaning it thoroughly and putting it to use for storing holiday decorations.

Quote:
X2 those rubbermAID bins are cheap and easy to use and they have enough space. i swear by them - mind you i have only hatched twice and brooded twice but wouldnt do it with out it. I slide the tote in a wire dig cage - and hang the light from the wire on the cage. This way i can raise in the house so they ar eused to me and i can hold them alot to tame them - this works by the way as my lil roo loves to dive bomb me and ride on my shoulder like a parrot LOL

Back
Top Bottom