Can I feed my chicks lettuce?

Lettuce has no nutritional value. Chicks grow fast and need the nutrients provided in a good chick starter. You can chop up some egg yolks for a treat right now.

Oh sorry. I didn't want to know about the best treats. I have a small piece of leftover lettuce and wanted to know if it was a health risk to feed it to them. They are eating mountains of chick starter, so there is no risk of lack of nutrition by taking two pecks of something else.

Yes, you can feed them lettuce. It is good entertainment, keeps them active, and is a healthy & natural food. I disagree with the comments that recommend against it (which, I assume, are referring to iceberg lettuce).

Iceberg lettuce is a healthy food that will cause no negative effects. It has trace amount of beneficial nutrients. The statement that it has "no nutritional value" is a myth. It is low in calories. Actually, so low that it takes your body more calories to burn it than it provides (which is one important reason it is a healthy choice for most people). As far a nutrients (minerals/vitamins), in a 1-cup serving there is 102mg of potassium (good for heart and muscle function), and 13mg calcium, and small amounts of magnesium and iron. It also has 2 mg of vitamin C, a good amount of folate and some vitamin A and K. These, of course, are fairly minimal amounts---but even a LITTLE nutrients are still nutrients that are beneficial for your bird. As a steady diet it wouldn't be to their advantage. Several times a year I will throw them iceberg lettuce left over from family/school functions.

Lettuce has been the 1st treat that I have given chicks.

Mostly, they just play with it at 2 weeks but it is good to get them so they aren't afraid of it at 2 months.

Lettuce has very little protein but also very few calories. That means they can eat it (or, play with it) and still be hungry for their starter.

Steve

Awesome! Thank you so much. Do I need to provide grit if I'm going to give a little lettuce? My local chickenman said there was grit in the starter but I've seen other threads saying you need an independent source of grit to give your chicks lettuce.

db

Hmmm, I didn't know about grit in starter.

Starter is a milled product, I don't know why it would need grit.

Either access to the soil, which in my backyard has plenty of what is needed to grind coarse food, or chick/caged bird grit.

Steve

Chick Norris, if your using chick starter, mash, or crumbles than there really is no reason to purchase grit. You'd just be wasting your money. Grit is needed if your going to feed them cracked or (especially) whole corn or if you're going to let them free range (and in the later case, most of the time they can get their own grit).

Back
Top Bottom