Call me crazy, but my one of my older hens is laying eggs.

sbillmyer

Chirping
Jan 14, 2021
We have had hens for nine years. In our first flock we had three Barred Rocks, two Easter Eggers, Buff Orpingtons, and a couple of other breeds. I was thrilled with the Easter Eggers egg color so the following year we got one more along with a couple of other breeds. Well, over the last 5 years we got more chicks to replace the ones we lost for different reasons :(. This spring the girls are off the hook laying. We just got rid of three Salmon Favorelles because chatty chickens do not make good neighbors. Funny thing about the Salmon girls, they laid small eggs and they would just drop them in different places in the backyard. Go figure. Back to what I am asking, Since we only got Easter Eggers in two years, the two in 2023 and one in 2014, I am very confused. We got an Olive Egger in June of 2020. She has been a great layer and her eggs are a good size and of course a muted green compared to an Easter Egger egg. Lo and behold, in the past month, there has been two green eggs in one day. Like I said, Olive is a good layer and I wouldn't be surprised if she did two eggs in one day, but eggs of two different shades of green? So unless someone tells me it is not possible for an eight or nine year old hen to lay an egg, can we assume we have a very healthy and happy old hen laying eggs?
IMG_0647.jpeg
BTW, aside from the two 9 year old Easter Eggers, one of our original Barred Rocks is still hanging in there. Here "sisters" only died in the last couple of years. We also have a few 8 year olds still kicking. Attached picture is the two eggs I got out of the coop this morning.

We have had hens for nine years. In our first flock we had three Barred Rocks, two Easter Eggers, Buff Orpingtons, and a couple of other breeds. I was thrilled with the Easter Eggers egg color so the following year we got one more along with a couple of other breeds. Well, over the last 5 years we got more chicks to replace the ones we lost for different reasons :(. This spring the girls are off the hook laying. We just got rid of three Salmon Favorelles because chatty chickens do not make good neighbors. Funny thing about the Salmon girls, they laid small eggs and they would just drop them in different places in the backyard. Go figure. Back to what I am asking, Since we only got Easter Eggers in two years, the two in 2023 and one in 2014, I am very confused. We got an Olive Egger in June of 2020. She has been a great layer and her eggs are a good size and of course a muted green compared to an Easter Egger egg. Lo and behold, in the past month, there has been two green eggs in one day. Like I said, Olive is a good layer and I wouldn't be surprised if she did two eggs in one day, but eggs of two different shades of green? So unless someone tells me it is not possible for an eight or nine year old hen to lay an egg, can we assume we have a very healthy and happy old hen laying eggs?View attachment 3054229 BTW, aside from the two 9 year old Easter Eggers, one of our original Barred Rocks is still hanging in there. Here "sisters" only died in the last couple of years. We also have a few 8 year olds still kicking. Attached picture is the two eggs I got out of the coop this morning.
I had a couple of silver laced wyandottes lay into their 9-10 Y/o range. So, it is unlikely but not impossible.

Last edited:
My first two I ever raised that are still alive are 6 years old. I dont see the barred rock at all ever in a nesting box anymore but the RIR sure is broody but I dont think she is laying either, just likes to hog the nest and stay there. Being they are my first two they get to keep on living as long as they can go.

Honestly you are probably just taking great care of your flock!!
I have some exotic breeds that are only supposed to lay for a year or to and lay daily at age 3 1/2
Just continue what you were doing with your birds I’m sure you’re doing amazing

We have had hens for nine years. In our first flock we had three Barred Rocks, two Easter Eggers, Buff Orpingtons, and a couple of other breeds. I was thrilled with the Easter Eggers egg color so the following year we got one more along with a couple of other breeds. Well, over the last 5 years we got more chicks to replace the ones we lost for different reasons :(. This spring the girls are off the hook laying. We just got rid of three Salmon Favorelles because chatty chickens do not make good neighbors. Funny thing about the Salmon girls, they laid small eggs and they would just drop them in different places in the backyard. Go figure. Back to what I am asking, Since we only got Easter Eggers in two years, the two in 2023 and one in 2014, I am very confused. We got an Olive Egger in June of 2020. She has been a great layer and her eggs are a good size and of course a muted green compared to an Easter Egger egg. Lo and behold, in the past month, there has been two green eggs in one day. Like I said, Olive is a good layer and I wouldn't be surprised if she did two eggs in one day, but eggs of two different shades of green? So unless someone tells me it is not possible for an eight or nine year old hen to lay an egg, can we assume we have a very healthy and happy old hen laying eggs?View attachment 3054229 BTW, aside from the two 9 year old Easter Eggers, one of our original Barred Rocks is still hanging in there. Here "sisters" only died in the last couple of years. We also have a few 8 year olds still kicking. Attached picture is the two eggs I got out of the coop this morning.
My 10 year old lady still lays 2 eggs a week in the summer! She's best friends to the kitty the rest of the year. She teaches the little girls how to be good chickens.

Back
Top Bottom