Why did our hens stop laying?

Wow, thanks! Learned a lot from you! I didn’t realize a 2.5 yr old hen is considered old.
There is still a fair scattering of oyster shell in the run, where they love to throw it around. If they only eat it when needed, I will leave it there, and only replenish once it’s gone. That way I can see if they are eating it. Okay, mealworms and BSFL are off the menu! (I’m going to tell them you made me….😂)
I’ll start sprouting scratch today. Best time to give them sprouts is evening? I’m assuming the dandelions are still good to give them?
If they need more protein, would the odd scrambled egg help? We have a neighbours who has too many eggs, so I do have a source. I didn’t know what Skyr is, so that’s another thing I’ve learned today! I will use Greek yogurt, with brewers yeast.

Thank you so much for the great tips! Much appreciated! 🥸

I picked up brewers yeast this morning. How do I give it to them? Can I just mix it with the mash? How much should I use for four hens?
My scratch is cracked, so won’t be sprouting that.
As cracked scratch won't sprout, just mix it with some greek yoghurt and half a teaspoon of brewers yeast which should stick nicely to the yoghurt coating the scratch.
But if you prefer it to be mixed with the mash, you can do just that.
But never use more than 5% of their total daily feed intake as too much could cause diarrhea.

Back
Top Bottom